Mashed turnips

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Dgflorida

Mashed turnips

Post by Dgflorida »

Has anyone here made mashed turnips? I have a lot of turnips from the garden and want to try it as an alternative to mashed potatoes. The online reviews are mixed.
Jackielou

Re: Mashed turnips

Post by Jackielou »

We had lots of mashed turnips when I was growing up. I think that is what Mom and Dad grew up eating. If you do mash them try putting some sugar in the mash and giving it a good stir. My Hubby found straight mashed turnips not to his liking so I sometimes did a half and half with mashed potatoes.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

DG, I believe you can eat cauliflower on the Keto diet and they are wonderful to put your cauliflower into a pot of water and cook until soft. Take a hand mixer and beat until creamy. I also add about a third of a block of cream cheese, a little butter and pepper to taste. If you can eat salt then add it to taste also. I can't eat salt, but I've gotten use to it and it's still good.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I love a mixture f mashed turnips and carrots. Delicious!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:03 am Has anyone here made mashed turnips? I have a lot of turnips from the garden and want to try it as an alternative to mashed potatoes. The online reviews are mixed.
I LOVE turnips! I don't know about mashed turnips but think it would taste good! BUT I do have a recipe OI can share with you if you want to try it. It is a turnip and lamb(or beef) curry stew-more tomato-based stew that you serve over white basmati rice with cumin seeds in the rice.So let me know and I will give you my method or the way I cook it. I am making this tomorrow in fact!