Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
littlemiss63

Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Post by littlemiss63 »

Southern Mashed Potatoes

4 1/2 lbs white or Yukon Gold Potatoes

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup whole milk

Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper

1/2 stick unsalted butter

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 tbsp prepared horseradish

5 garlic cloves

Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper

Place peeled, cubed potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt and peeled garlic cloves in a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain and place in a mixing bowl.

Combine potatoes, cream cheese, butter and horseradish in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix together. You can use either a hand held mixer or a stand mixer. In a pan heat the cream, milk till hot, not boiling. Gently pour milk mixture into the potato mixer until you get the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, stir well.

Note:
I’m guessing on the milk and cream as I seldom measure it. You know when you have the potatoes to the consistency that you like. Add warmed milk mixture gradually so they remain thick.
alliesmama4

Re: Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Post by alliesmama4 »

Libby thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write the recipe. I know it was time consuming and I appreciate your posting it so soon especially since you are just now getting your typing skills with two hands back. Can hardly wait for the occasion to make some. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Thank you, Libby. I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving.

How many servings would you say this makes? Could any extra be frozen in cupcake cups like you said you do with regular mashed potatoes?
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm Thank you, Libby. I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving.

How many servings would you say this makes? Could any extra be frozen in cupcake cups like you said you do with regular mashed potatoes?
If memory serves me this will serve 6 people and you very definitely could freeze them in the muffin tins.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 pm Libby thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write the recipe. I know it was time consuming and I appreciate your posting it so soon especially since you are just now getting your typing skills with two hands back. Can hardly wait for the occasion to make some. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, you are welcome. No trouble at all, since I'm still limited to no lifting using that hand it gives me something
to do.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 pm
alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 pm Libby thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write the recipe. I know it was time consuming and I appreciate your posting it so soon especially since you are just now getting your typing skills with two hands back. Can hardly wait for the occasion to make some. Janet Alliesmama
Janet, you are welcome. No trouble at all, since I'm still limited to no lifting using that hand it gives me something
to do.
I did not know you could freeze mashed potatoes in muffin tins. I will be making this soon and freezing it to have on hand for going with my meat loaf and other things in the freezer.. Thanks again. Janet alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama