Winter Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
2dogs+someCats

Winter Soup

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I thought I would share my "basic winter soup" recipe. This can be changed up in many ways - switching out/adding vegetables, etc. I have added rice to it in the past and pinto beans another time.

Anyway, here is the basic recipe. It is good if I do say so myself and very nice if you have a cold.

1. Dice one large onion and fry in a little bit of oil or margarine. While that is cooking, slice 3 large carrots, two medium potatoes and chop some fresh cabbage until you have about 2 cups.

2. Put all of the above into a stock pot and add 6 cups of water. Add one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes and the juice. Add one 28 oz. can of pureed tomatoes.

3. Add 1/2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning.

4. Cook on medium heat till it starts to boil. Stir and turn heat back to low and cook until carrots are tender.

This soup is so forgiving - you can make it with whatever you've got - the premise is fresh vegetables, water, spices and canned tomatoes. The flavor gets better after a day or two.
gaylejackson2

Re: Winter Soup

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I have made similar soups, sometimes I add cooked ground beef or diced ham (or whatever leftover meat I have). Yes they ARE so good!!

I'm considering a root veg soup to eat after church tomorrow, just diced carrots, potatoes, dried minced onions (I forgot to buy fresh today), then whatever spices sound good. I let it cook in 6-8 cups of water until carrots are tender, then I drain & reserve most of the liquid, then mash the veggies in the pot. In the reserved liquid, I stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of my GF flour blend, then stir it all into the mashed veggies, and cook just so its thickened, then serve. I know, its not a good description, but its really basic but so good.

I serve it with homemade GF rolls if I have made them, or regular store bread for THEM, and homemade GF bread for me; or even GF cornbread.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Winter Soup

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 am I have made similar soups, sometimes I add cooked ground beef or diced ham (or whatever leftover meat I have). Yes they ARE so good!!

I'm considering a root veg soup to eat after church tomorrow, just diced carrots, potatoes, dried minced onions (I forgot to buy fresh today), then whatever spices sound good. I let it cook in 6-8 cups of water until carrots are tender, then I drain & reserve most of the liquid, then mash the veggies in the pot. In the reserved liquid, I stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of my GF flour blend, then stir it all into the mashed veggies, and cook just so its thickened, then serve. I know, its not a good description, but its really basic but so good.

I serve it with homemade GF rolls if I have made them, or regular store bread for THEM, and homemade GF bread for me; or even GF cornbread.
Gayle I just love making and of course eating various soups. They are so cheap to make and a great hot meal. I make a split pea one too that I put carrots and onion in if I have them.

My boss seems to think it is weird that I bring soup for lunch almost every day. I think it's weird that she thinks that is weird, lol. She brings a salad every day and I don't think that's weird.

I would rather have a hot meal this time of year. I usually have some crackers and peanut butter with my soup. If I'm having it at home I like to make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it.