Hamburger Soup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Kindhearted1

Hamburger Soup

Post by Kindhearted1 »

I make this soup during the winter when I have bits and bots of frozen leftover veggies in the fridge. We are enjoying it this week because both DH and I have a virus causing lots of wheezing.....excess miserable wheezing....and there is just no comfort to be found.

I start with a pound--or a bitl ess-- of frozen burger in a little bit of water and cook it and break it apart, adding minced onion. When it is nicely scrambled, I add beef broth to it and bring it to a boil; then I add all of the veggies I have in the freezer, little leftover bits of corn, peas, carrots, green beans cut small, a litte bit of leftover chili soup, some pinto beans, and then add whatever tomato product I may have in the freezer. Sometimes that is tomato sauce and sometimes it is Amy's organic tomato bisque soup (which I use in recipes as an all-purpose substitute for Campell's tomato soup because I cook gluten-free). Now here is the part that you might think is not so good---I add some ketchup--no measuring, just until it looks right. It could be about 1/3 of a cup. It just adds a little extra flavor. Sometimes I add a dash of Worchestershire sauce. A bit of chili power and some cumin. Occasionally I will dice a potato into it, but I prefer breaking up some gluten-free spaghetti into it, to fill it out. Add pepper and salt if needed--but the broth is usally salty enough. It is a llittle bit different every time, but very satisfying!
Jackielou

Re: Hamburger Soup

Post by Jackielou »

Thanks for sharing. This sounds very nice.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/