Calling Experienced Growers of Potatoes, Carrots, etc.

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
2dogs+someCats

Calling Experienced Growers of Potatoes, Carrots, etc.

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I want to have a garden when spring comes and grow some of the "hearty" vegetables - potatoes, carrots, cabbage, turnips, maybe some kale, maybe some beets.

I have some limited gardening experience from years ago and I don't remember it being too difficult -- but pointers are appreciated.

I did not have the soil tilled last fall so it will be a "fresh till" in spring before planting. Is there something I should add to the soil to enrich it?

Mainly, I am aiming for at least a 50 pound yield on my potatoes and 25 pounds on carrots. Those are two core items in my diet, especially in winter and it would be nice to see some savings by growing and storing them.

I am going to do some online resources but would appreciate any tips that you have. Thank you!
Jackielou

Re: Calling Experienced Growers of Potatoes, Carrots, etc.

Post by Jackielou »

Just remember that some years are good growing years and others are not. Potatoes did not really grow for us last summer. We might have gotten 25 lbs total. Most years it is way over that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 pm Just remember that some years are good growing years and others are not. Potatoes did not really grow for us last summer. We might have gotten 25 lbs total. Most years it is way over that.
Thank you for that reminder, Jackie. The only time I grew potatoes was many years ago in one of those huge outdoor pots and they were very successful. I used to do well with tomatoes and green peppers too - but I really want to stick with the heartier root vegetables this go around.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Hm, you did not mention onions. I have limited garden space and purposely do not grow anything I can buy for $1/lb or less at the store (potatoes, onions). What I DO grow are tomatoes, green beans (both around $4/lb at farmer's market), peppers, squash, lettuce, chard, parsley, leaf celery, okra, green onions and the like. Herbs do well. A good crop of basil for pesto is divine. I did grow some carrots just because I had the seed. I like turnips and beets but I just never get much result from them.

I did read an interesting book that said you should focus on growing "calories" (hence potatoes, grains and such) because while lettuce is very nice, it won't sustain you. Many people at the garden plot grow sweet potatoes (or try to.) A few grow corn.

My neighbor grew peanuts last year - now that was interesting and useful.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hubby's dad grew peanuts once. You are right it was an interesting crop. Not sure how much FIL managed to harvest though.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

What and when depends on where you live. Find out what growing zone you are in. From there you can decide when to plant and what to expect. A lot of people move here from up north and fail because they do not realize that they are in a different zone. There are also many vegetables that will grow in a pot. Potatoes for example.