Garden update 2015

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
dlrcpa

Garden update 2015

Post by dlrcpa »

Last night's harvest was 1 2/3 lb green beans (washed and prepped for cooking)
3 more yellow squash
1/4 lb cherry tomatoes
2 green peppers
Will cut and cook swiss chard this weekend. Overgrown yellow squash is going to substitute for corn in chicken/corn/noodle soup. Found a recipe for lemon zucchini muffins I will try.
Still undecided whether to order & plant strawberries.
Jackielou

Re: Garden update 2015

Post by Jackielou »

Lots of tomatoes being harvested here. Hubby has been harvesting the corn 2 cobs at a time. Really neither of us likes frozen corn on the cob very much so over the years we have cut down on planting that veggie. One row does us just fine.

Starting to dig up the potatoes as well. A plant at a time. We will do the big dig closer to when we are going to leave for our short holiday.

I still need to pick more from the herb garden, but I will be doing that later today.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ErinHuffstetler
Site Admin

Post by ErinHuffstetler »

Overgrown yellow squash is going to substitute for corn in chicken/corn/noodle soup
Have you ever made squash pickles? I did that this summer for the first time, and I was really happy with the results. I just used my regular refrigerator pickle recipe and subbed in squash.
Erin Huffstetler
Editor, MyFrugalHome.com
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

No, thanks for the idea but DH is not a pickle fan (or anything sour really) and I am ahead on pickles in the pantry for a while. I cooked the squash and ran thru the food processor and I am going to substitute it in pumpkin bread as an experiment.

I see baby leaves in the bed where I planted mustard, spinach and lettuce a week ago. Need to fence it off to keep workmen and critters out. Used to have irises planted there but they got borers so I dug them all up and trying edible greens instead.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Short garden visit today. Asked another gardener if I should harvest my pumpkins, she said go ahead so I brought home 2 that were orange (small pie pumpkins). She offered me one of the large decorative type ones growing at her plot - yippee! She said wait and pick it when it's more completely orange. I told her I cook and use all types, even the ones they sell for Halloween. She said she already has 3 at home.

My remaining pie pumpkins are still mainly green so will have to wait a while longer. Most of them are very small - grapefruit size or smaller.

Picked more green beans and cherry tomatoes, 1 yellow squash. Did not pick chard yet. DH is making garlic green beans tonight.

edit: my 2 pumpkins totaled 8 lbs
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Picked more tomatoes and cucumbers. Hubby picked some more hot red peppers and I pick some jalapenos.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/