Garden update 2015

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
gaylejackson2

Re: Garden update 2015

Post by gaylejackson2 »

2 more ideas about using up yellow summer squash: a) to grate it and use it in place of zucchini in muffins and bread. b) I also use it in meatloaf (to get my kids eating more veggies), I just mix it in with the meat and bread crumbs. It makes meatloaf very moist and delicious.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

My pole beans are mostly done, but I have picked enough this year to can I think 20 quarts and 2 pints. I might get another handful to go with the handful in teh fridge.

Potatoes were few, they were dug a few weeks ago to make up that week's Sunday pot roast. My 8 rows of corn have produced pitifully (too many visits from mules? :lol: ), though I might get a few more ears for eating, nothing for the freezer. I've canned 7 quarts diced tomatoes, I might get enough for 2-3 more quarts plain tomatoes or several pints of salsa (which I want to try).

I've about 10 bells peppers waiting to be picked and diced either for freezing or for salsa.

I've been making jam from gifted & FREE fruit, greengage plums, pears, and a few peaches. Jam from all 3 is delicious, now I'm down to a huge bowl of pears, and enough plums for 3 more mixed jam batches or 1-2 plain batches (I like mixed fruit jams, so far I've made 3 big batches).

I have access to all the FREE red, yellow, or green apples I want, but my helpers aren't proving to be as willing as they were in early-mid August. :roll: I would like more red applesauce, and I want to experiment making cinnamon applesauce with Dsil's recipe.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Gayle thanks for the ideas. I have hamburger thawing so I guess meatloaf with secret squash added will be Thursday's dinner. There is a squash-corn bread recipe I like, could make that to go w/ meatloaf. Maybe I will just cut up and freeze the rest to add to veg soup. I can make zucchini muffins or bread to take on vacation too.

I envy your free fruit to make into jams! Fruit is still very expensive here. Waiting for apples to go on sale, 79 cents/lb is about the best price we will see in the store. The farmer's market charges more.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I have been gone a week so there were quite a few things ready to be picked today. 9 lbs total of various vegetables and 1 small pumpkin. I also picked zinnias & parsley. More baby squash and zucchini on the way! Pumpkin produced a few more small green ones that I may have to pick & eat green. Frost date is late Oct or beginning of Nov.

There was a swallowtail caterpillar on the parsley. I looked it up when I got home.

I will try drying more stevia. I will also cut and cook more swiss chard later in the week. There is sorrel growing that I was given. Should try to figure out how to cook with that - never dealt with it before.
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Harvested all the lemongrass and Stevia. Transplanted six lettuce plants into containers before pulling the garden for the expansion. I had 20 bell peppers, about 4 gallons of poblano chiles, a couple quarts of jalapeños, a gallon of banana peppers, 3 gallons of beans, bunch of lettuce and a little bit of kale ready to harvest. I'm sad to see it go, but we have plenty of veggies in the pantry and the freeEr for the year. I'm excited to see the expansion happening.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Collected the last yellow squash today. Another handful of pole string beans, cherry tomatoes and some chard. I will probably go back on Sunday and cut down zinnias and pull the few remaining squash plants. Some of the chard plants need to be pulled. The bugs seem to like some plants and not others - some have lots of bug holes and some don't. Sweet potatoes are egg-sized so leaving in the ground a while longer. The turnip seeds I planted did not do much, and the lettuce in the house yard is a disappointment too.