Garden update 2015

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
dlrcpa

Re: Garden update 2015

Post by dlrcpa »

I pulled sweet potatoes today - a total of 1.5 lbs. Pitiful. Definitely not worth the effort next year. I will have to think of some different vegetables to try. Okra is one. Also some winter squash I think. Decided I am happy w/ the pole beans since I get a handful every week long after the bush beans were gone, nice for the occasional supper. I got some cherry tomatoes, green pepper and parsley to add to my dinner salad this evening.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I brought home a lot parsley yesterday, had parsley salad for dinner. DH said he is not going to eat any, it does have a rather strong taste but is very healthy. I found a recipe using spaghetti squash (and regular spaghetti pasta) with parsley to make later in the week. There is still more at the garden until we get a real freeze.

I found a recipe for green tomato jam that I will attempt today (cutting the recipe in half). The green ones I pulled a week ago are not ripening so this is worth a try! If it doesn't work then the only real waste will be some sugar.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Green tomato jam is made, just 1 8 oz jar. The tomatoes ended up being about 1/2 lb, added 1 C sugar and zest and juice from half a lemon and a cinnamon stick. This was a good experiment, I gained some experience. My previous attempt at peach jam did not thicken. I read in Joy of Cooking it can take 30 minutes to get thick so I let it keep going. I made bread today so can try it on toast this week.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I must say - don't waste time on green tomato jam! I tasted it and will probably eat it, but the tomato is too "chewy" and the sugar is like cold honey, not soft-set like jam.

I have eaten parsley salad twice this week. I like it with ranch dressing. It has a rather strong taste, but has a lot of vitamins so definitely worth adding to my diet.

I made a recipe using spaghetti squash given to me by a co-worker. He also gave me another new recipe to try. I have 2 more quart-size containers in the freezer.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I had to throw out one small pumpkin and found another one is starting to get soft - grrrr. I am cooking 2 small ones tonight and need to cook the 2 larger ones soon so as not to waste my efforts.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Weather continues to be relatively warm and the parsley and swiss chard in the garden continue to grow slowly. I got enough chard to to cook and freeze a pint. I had parsley salad with dinner. I have cooked all of the pumpkins. They were not keeping well. There is 1 turnip that I am waiting to get a bit bigger. If this winter continues I need to research what vegetables I can plant and how early. I swear last year the ground was frozen solid for several months.