Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
dlrcpa

Garden update 2016

Post by dlrcpa »

Today I planted radish, peas, spinach in the ground. Started cherry tomatoes, peppers, and cauliflower in pots under lights indoors. I have never grown cauliflower but love to eat it. I e-mailed an experienced gardener in the dog club to ask what she has started so far. The big assortment of seeds I received at Christmas did not have individual instructions so my planning is rather hit-or-miss. Need to start a journal or calendar.

Looks like the people who rent the plot behind me have abandoned. They took away all of their pots, stands, and storage shed. Sad to see them go, they were only there 1 season and were generous sharing seedlings with me.
dlrcpa

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by dlrcpa »

Today I planted beets and "oriental greens" in the ground. Yesterday I started about a dozen more pots under lights. Tomatoes and cauliflower indoors from a week ago have popped up. The peppers have not yet and I remember someone last year said they take quite a while so I'll be patient. Several other gardeners were at the rental plots.

I pulled a lot of weeds. Some small areas are ready to be planted but not sure what to put in yet. This is in the front where I put the herbs, I think it's too early to plant herb seeds. The potted stevia will go in the ground when it's warmer.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Today I planted carrots, lettuce, and green onions in ground. Maybe a little too early but we will see. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. Radishes and spinach from 2 weeks ago have sprouted. Indoor things planted a week ago are also sprouting. Still waiting on the indoor green peppers - they sure are slow.

Ran into back-fence garden neighbors. I thought they left because their stuff was gone. But they switched to a front plot hoping for more sun. We will trade e-mails and extra seeds and started plants. These plots are small and 1 seed packet is too much.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have been weeding the herb garden the past two days and thinking about what things I want to put back there. I would love to have some tomatoes this year and maybe some Dutch onions, since those tend to reseed themselves for the next year.
Mackie
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I visited the garden for the 1st time in 2 weeks. Very disappointing to see only a tiny bit of growth. Radishes the size of marbles. Lettuce leaves the size of quarters. Spinach is a bit larger but sparse. I think I see some carrot leaves. Dill reseeded itself and is starting but I never used what grew last fall. I think I see swiss chard sprouting (reseeded itself I think). Really hoped there would be something edible by now, but no. Thyme is blooming, it is thick and healthy.

I think I need to take the hose over and give a good soaking. We have gotten rain but maybe not enough. It has still been cold in the mornings, 38 degrees this morning.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Sunday and Tuesday worked in the garden. Swiss chard did sprout in the old place and I will move the babies around. Planted 2 rows of string beans. Weeded along the front fence and I think I will try pole beans on the fence. I have picked and eaten 4 radishes. Lettuce may be ready in another week or 2. My tomato seedlings are over 12" tall and I need to get them ready to move into the garden. I gave some away last week.