Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
Jackielou

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by Jackielou »

The peas still did not come up too great this year. Hubby figures the store had some bad seed. He also just reseeded part of a row of carrots.

Everything else is looking pretty good right now.

We have picked a few green onions, and of course some rhubarb. Hoping to be able to pick even more very soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I think I will be able to pick string beans later this week. I planted another row of beans. I have noticed several things sprouted that I planted last week. I watered a lot since we have not had rain for a week. I talked to another gardener who grew okra last year and it did very well. I did not know it would be so tall, she indicated about 6' high.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I did a lot in the garden yesterday. Here, in Florida, the seasons are switched more or less. A summer crop for the north is a winter crop here. Summer crops here are some long season plants or tropical. So while my current green pepper and tomato plants are surviving in the shade, they are barely producing in the heat. But it is a good time to start pepper babies from seed. I have several dozen sprouts of green pepper from free pepper seeds and some sprouts from free jalapeno seeds, all tossed in a pot outside. I transplanted the bigger sprouts to cups. Meanwhile, I am replenishing my stock of seeds for fall planting and working on a garden bed suitable for a fall crop. The dollar store has typical northern summer seeds(our winter seeds) 4/$1. Walmart stocks a few seeds for less, but they typically are less hardy brands. I have a sweet potato sprouting and hope to plant it soon. We will see how that goes. No big hurry on it. I don't have a bed ready for it. I have not had a good response from my summer beans, pigeon peas. They supposedly flourish here, but only a few seeds sprouted and only one survived and then the squirrels dug it up. I replanted it and it is coming along ok, but still small. I have a ton of papaya seedlings with no where to put them. Supposedly they transplant poorly. Well they can transplant or die. I like papaya I have decided. More work on creating good soil and mulching.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Getting string beans currently, a good handful every few days. My parents' garden (planted by neighbor) has squash and zucchini already - so I got a few of those. I have green cherry tomatoes, should be ripe in a week I guess. Additional squash I planted have popped up. Cucumbers I started indoors are all coming up. Do not know why the ones in ground never germinated. 2nd pantry potato is sending up shoots. We will find out if I can actually grow potatoes. I pulled 2 more carrots on Saturday.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Picked about half a gallon bag of string beans, very happy. I will cook some of these tomorrow. I pulled a few more carrots although I don't need them (bought carrots on sale). Tomatoes are still green. I see the 3 watermelon seeds I planted have all sprouted. I picked more lettuce today, and celery and green onions to add to pasta salad.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Picked yet MORE beans. I walked up to the neighbor's house and gave them to her and got caught up on all the "gossip". It turns out they have planted a garden elsewhere. Maybe we can trade some vegs. Second planting of beans will be producing shortly. Tomatoes are still green on the vine. I ended the experiment of letting radishes go to seed. They were covered w/ beetles, so into the yard recycle bag they went. I can plant something else there soon. There are a few other spots that something could be planted in, need to go through the seeds.