Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
dlrcpa

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by dlrcpa »

First planting of beans is about finished yielding. I only got a handful today. The 2nd planting will be ready soon. I pulled up the green leaf lettuce ("Simpson" type if you are familiar.) I left the romaine and cut some more. Found romaine in the fridge already, it is keeping well in a plastic bag w/ damp paper towel. I had salad with 3 bean salad for lunch.

I planted 4 cucumber seedlings and pumpkin and spaghett squash seeds. I see I have 1 small yellow squash about 3" long and some very tiny ones. Will be happy when I start getting those. Tomatoes are STILL green. I can start cutting a bit of parsley and basil when I have a need. Carrots can probably be pulled but I'm not in a rush.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My vegetable garden is in pots. Mostly tomatoes and green peppers. They have lots of babies from the seeds I throw in the pots . I have repotted a few and now I need to find new homes for them. I joined several plant swaps and one is meeting tonight. I don't have much to swap, but as I reclaim the yard that will change. I have a lot of papaya plants. I hope to plant them in the ground within a few days if I can get the soil ready. It is hot here. Usually above 85 when the sun comes up and heads towards 100F each day. Can't do much in that heat.

I may be late on my fall garden starts because I don't want to start anything before I leave for my 10 day trip in late August. I have many seeds to begin when I return.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I pulled 4 carrots last night, cut them up and put in my lunch. I have now discovered what they mean when a carrot turns "woody". There is a part around the core that is so tough it cannot even be bitten through. So I guess I will pull the rest of the carrots next time. These were the largest ones. Hopefully small ones will be more edible.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

The 2nd planting of beans is now producing, probably picked 1 lb tonight. I pulled the plants from the 1st planting since the production was almost nothing. Need to figure out what to plant in that space. I pulled 3 carrots of the ones left. These were smaller and still nice, unlike the ones that got too big. Just a few left. I picked 4 cherry tomatoes, still rather orange than red. But I did not want the birds to get at them.

Basil is being eaten by bugs. I need to pick a large batch and make pesto right away, probably Friday or Saturday. I'm going to incorporate some swiss chard with the basil to increase the volume as needed for the recipe.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I did make pesto Friday and froze a small container. Will make again tomorrow or Friday? Then I need to order pine nuts. Still getting a few string beans every few days. I blanched and froze 2 sandwich bags of beans. I'm picking tomatoes when yellow, don't want to wait for the birds to get them. So far I have only picked 1 yellow squash. 1 more coming along. 1 zucchini getting ready to bear. Cucumbers still running far behind. Zinnias are starting to bloom, they are one of my favorites.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Foliage from the pantry potato I planted was dying so I pulled it up. Most of the original potato still there, plus 3 small (golf-ball size) ones. I also realized 3 plants I thought were red Swiss chard were actually beets! I pulled 2 of those. Also 1 carrot. So that was my "root" vegetable crop. Got more beans from the bush variety. The pole beans have small ones that will probably be ready in a week. Picked more basil & chard for pesto. Picked all the ripe tomatoes & 1 yellow squash. So there is a nice variety of things ripe now, just wishing the quantity was greater.