Garden update 2016

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
dlrcpa

Re: Garden update 2016

Post by dlrcpa »

I have gotten a few more things this week: okra, 1 zucchini, several cucumbers, a few cherry tomatoes. Basil is no more. Parsley is sick for unknown reasons. May get a few more small yellow squash. There is a grapefruit-sized green pumpkin and a spaghetti squash coming. That will only be the 2nd one of each. It has rained about 1/2" twice in September.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I see the lettuce planted last Sunday coming up. Need to keep it watered as we have not had rain for at least a week (again). I watered on Wednesday. Okra is still coming. Pumpkin is still green. I picked the 2nd spaghetti squash and will cook it soon. I found this freezes well.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

2nd pumpkin has been turning orange, I will keep watch on it. There are some small green ones that I will just pick and cook like summer squash since there is no time for them to ripen.

Today I got a zucchini, small yellow squash, more okra. There is another small zucchini on the way, there are 2 small yellow squash on the way. Lettuce is growing. I think the tomatoes are done, I will put green tomatoes in chili on Sunday along with canned ones. There are some green jalapenos and small green peppers. These just never did well, they were crowded out by the stupid marigolds. No more marigolds! I have green onions to use up, and more in the garden.

I am hoping to have lettuce and parsley for salads well into the cold weather. I have row fabric but have never set it up or arranged it, time to try to it out.
kjm17

Post by kjm17 »

I have Kale and herbs left. That's about it.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I pulled up a lot of vines on Thursday. The okra is still standing but I think production has dropped off. I have 1 decent sized pumpkin that I need to cook this week, I am sure it will not store. Lettuce is growing and I have 2 parsley plants that I also use in salad. A few cherry tomatoes still standing. Green pepper plant and a few jalapenos have not been harvested yet. There are still a few green onions to pull up.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

My gardens continue to expand. When I lived here 25 years ago, I planted trees, mostly oaks and pines. I had a large vegetable garden, fruit trees and a fish filled lake. Now the oaks and pines only let a sliver of sun in. The vegetable garden is gone. No fruit trees remain and the county put in a pipe that reduced the lake level to a swamp. Sigh. So I began to rebuild the lost glory. Where there was light, the tangle of thorn filled brambles were cut down. Heavy plastic covered the long sunny bed all summer until the sun cooked the plastic and shredded it. Mulch from trimmed trees f slowly filled in the long bed. It was summer.