Green gardener here!

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
delighted99

Green gardener here!

Post by delighted99 »

Hi all. I have been thinking of starting a no-fuss garden just for the sake of having something nice to look at when I'm in my yard. I've done a bit of research and I've found that phlox is one of those flowering plants that chokes out weeds and is hard to kill. Comes in lots of colors.

My question for you gardeners here.. if I have a 1 meter by 2 meter bordered section, do I also have room for anything else? I think this phlox has also been called "creeping phlox" from what I've read so it probably spreads fast.

I love the idea of growing vegetables but I think in all reality I do not have the time. We also just got our lawn treated by the pest control guy and that would turn me off from eating something grown out there. Am I being reasonable?
dlrcpa

Re: Green gardener here!

Post by dlrcpa »

Is it sunny or shady there? There is a perennial called "dianthus" that has nice flowers and is low-growing. Sort of like mini-carnation.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

dlrcpa wrote:Is it sunny or shady there? There is a perennial called "dianthus" that has nice flowers and is low-growing. Sort of like mini-carnation.
I am going to have to see this spot at various times during the day. Thanks for the tip.
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

I would definitely not bother planting food, both due to the limited space and (mainly) due to the chemicals being sprayed.

We use no chemicals, fertilzers, or any of that here at our place. You could maybe grow food in pots, though, if you want to.

Jen M.
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com