Question about herbs

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
gaylejackson2

Question about herbs

Post by gaylejackson2 »

After you grow them, what do you all use your herbs for?

I have rosemary, thyme, oregano, and lavendar. Other than sachets in the underwear drawer, I honestly can't remember why I decided to grow lavender. As for the other three, would they be good together in a meat rub, or to add to a Italian dish?

Any ideas, tips, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gayle
dlrcpa

Re: Question about herbs

Post by dlrcpa »

A sprig of rosemary or thyme is good in a pot of soup, you can pull the whole stem out when the soup is finished. Lavender is supposed to promote relaxation and sleep. Supposedly it will deter moths from your wool clothes (or so the internet says.)
Shelsmiles

Re: Question about he

Post by Shelsmiles »

I'm very busy harvesting and drying my herbs now. :)

I use oregano, thyme and rosemary to cook with. Oregano is also good for immune system. I make a rosemary and lavender sachet for my kids on test days as it improves memory and quiets test anxiety. I also like lavender lemonade. Thyme tea is good for a cough.

I grow mint, chamomile, lemon balm, etc. for teas. Mint is good for upset stomachs and chamomile and lemon balm are good calming agents. I make a lemon balm honey syrup for tea that is lovely. Peppermint honey syrup,is good for tummies too.

I grow sage to use during cold season as an anti microbial and anti fungal. I have DS spray a sage tea on his skin in the shower after wrestling to prevent ring worm. I also use sage compresses for irritated skin, mild abrasions etc.

I grow stevia to add to teas as a sweetener.

I use basil to cook with a lot.

I grow basil to cook with.

I use a mixture of many if Not all of these to reduce insects in the chicken coop.

I use basil, rosemary and thyme to make a rockin' herbed pork roast in the pressure cooker. :)
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I once had a blueberry-lemon-lavender sorbet that was amazing. At the funeral for my aunt, who was an avid gardener, some of her friends made lemon-lavender sugar cookies for the reception.

Here's a nice link that talks about the difference culinary uses for lavender:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/difference ... 28244.html
Mackie
NancyCrary

Post by NancyCrary »

I will always prefer lavender. It's my favorite.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

When I was a baker, we made Lemon Lavender mini cakes and cake pops.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com