Compost Bins

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
gaylejackson2

Re: Compost Bins

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Heloise wrote:
gaylejackson2 wrote:I agree... as well as adding in new material to keep your compost "alive."
Yes, vegetable and fruit peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, and tea bags are my favourites to add.
I don't drink coffee, but I add all the rest except tea bags. I didn't know that tea bags were compostable.. how does that work? I assume I remove the string, but do I need to cut open the bag & remove the tea leaves, or does the bag just compost on its own? I do drink quite a lot of tea each day (plain water tastes yucky to me now since Oct 2016), and it would be nice to not have them sogging up my garbage.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

gaylejackson2 wrote:I don't drink coffee, but I add all the rest except tea bags. I didn't know that tea bags were compostable.. how does that work? I assume I remove the string, but do I need to cut open the bag & remove the tea leaves, or does the bag just compost on its own? I do drink quite a lot of tea each day (plain water tastes yucky to me now since Oct 2016), and it would be nice to not have them sogging up my garbage.
I always open the bag, dump the leaves, and dispose of the bag. According to articles I have read, some bags contain poly which doesn't breakdown, so just to be safe I remove the bag before composting.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Heloise wrote:
gaylejackson2 wrote:I don't drink coffee, but I add all the rest except tea bags. I didn't know that tea bags were compostable.. how does that work? I assume I remove the string, but do I need to cut open the bag & remove the tea leaves, or does the bag just compost on its own? I do drink quite a lot of tea each day (plain water tastes yucky to me now since Oct 2016), and it would be nice to not have them sogging up my garbage.
I always open the bag, dump the leaves, and dispose of the bag. According to articles I have read, some bags contain poly which doesn't breakdown, so just to be safe I remove the bag before composting.
Ahh very good. Thank you for the tip. I'll have to remember that for the future.

Incidentally.... you live in Canada, Yes? Do you keep your veggie scraps, coffee grounds, and tea leaves in a container until spring, or do you add them to your pile despite the snow & ice?
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

gaylejackson2 wrote:Ahh very good. Thank you for the tip. I'll have to remember that for the future.

Incidentally.... you live in Canada, Yes? Do you keep your veggie scraps, coffee grounds, and tea leaves in a container until spring, or do you add them to your pile despite the snow & ice?
Indeed we do live in Canada, and even throughout the winter months I dump whatever I have in the way of scraps into the compost. If you have marauding ravens and scavenger birds on the hunt, dig a bit of a hole in the compost prior to the snow and cold and freezing, that way you'll be able to dump the scraps into the hole and cover with snow to hide. You can also layer a sheet of fine wire mesh over the top to keep critters and birds and things out.