Compost Bins

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
gaylejackson2

Re: Compost Bins

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Heloise wrote:
gaylejackson2 wrote: We have a pile, mound on the north side of the garden. :lol: I use it as a ramp to drive my rototiller into the garden.

I just pile stuff up, cover it with dirt or older compost, water it, then stir it around every week. We try to add in manure (from neighbor's mules) every spring or fall, stir it around some more.
Turning, is key to the composting process. It turns into quite the science when you get into hot composting.
Oh yes, I forgot to add in the turning. ;) I usually turn over the pile, then dig a hole to put my fresh stuff in, cover it over, then water it lightly if the pile hasn't been wet down recently. I also arrange my sprinklers to water the pile a bit too.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Heloise wrote:
RecoveringDreamer wrote:There is something about growing up on a farm that makes you more tolerant of gross but effective methods. I've always had an easier time with certain squeamish tasks than DH (raised in the city).
While I've always had a love for farming, I know deep in my heart that I would have never made for a good farm-girl.
Well, there are certain tasks I'm not sure I could perform so well anymore, but I do miss living on a farm... for the most part... I wish that I'd gotten Dad or Dsis to teach me how to milk a cow... its my one farming fail that I regret at times. ;)
I used to feel so happy when I get to visit Dad's old farm, though it doesn't get the same tender loving care under Dbro#2 as it had from Dad... just for all the memories I have associated with the old place (*sigh* then I look around at it current state and I want to cry, sometimes I do).

=) Gayle
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

RecoveringDreamer wrote:There is something about growing up on a farm that makes you more tolerant of gross but effective methods. I've always had an easier time with certain squeamish tasks than DH (raised in the city).
RD,
Your comment "There is something about growing up on a farm that makes you more tolerant of gross but effective methods." kind of makes me chuckle. My Dh grew up on a cattle ranch in eastern Oregon, but he's super squeamish about so much stuff that I kind of consider rather commonplace for the kinds of places we both grew up in. :lol:
However, I do enjoy our trips to Dh's family's ranch each summer... I get to enjoy wide-open spaces for awhile, even though they are different from where I grew up in Utah.

=) Gayle
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

gaylejackson2 wrote:Oh yes, I forgot to add in the turning. ;) I usually turn over the pile, then dig a hole to put my fresh stuff in, cover it over, then water it lightly if the pile hasn't been wet down recently. I also arrange my sprinklers to water the pile a bit too.
Turning and keeping moisture content balanced is key.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Heloise wrote:
gaylejackson2 wrote:Oh yes, I forgot to add in the turning. ;) I usually turn over the pile, then dig a hole to put my fresh stuff in, cover it over, then water it lightly if the pile hasn't been wet down recently. I also arrange my sprinklers to water the pile a bit too.
Turning and keeping moisture content balanced is key.
I agree... as well as adding in new material to keep your compost "alive."
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

gaylejackson2 wrote:I agree... as well as adding in new material to keep your compost "alive."
Yes, vegetable and fruit peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, and tea bags are my favourites to add.