Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
Jackielou

Re: Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

Post by Jackielou »

Garden is planted now, and Hubby cut back. We have no lettuce, no peas, and very few beans.

I even cut back on planting my flowers. I did not however cut back on planting my herbs.

We have covered everything the past couple of nights due to frost warnings. Needless to say we have had no frost. Out in the country however, it is a different story, frost both nights.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

May has been cool and rainy. This seems usual. The cucumber transplants look sickly, 2 have split their stems. There may be a rabbit getting in, as a couple of the bean plants were taken down. I cannot find a hole in the fence yet. The tomatoes have flowers. Some of them look better than others, 7 in total. For some reason I got good germination on the beet seeds planted. Usually I get poor germination when I plant beets in the fall. I planted in late spring figuring I could at least eat the greens. Maybe the beets like all this cool rain. September seems to be less rainy. The broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts transplanted did not do well so I'm giving up on those and will re-use that space.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I have been having problems with all the beans being eaten off at the base of the stem. It turns out that mice are doing this. So my attempts at mending the fence were useless since the mice are much smaller than the rabbits I was blaming. I have just put plastic mesh around a bunch of the beds and replanted beans. Adjacent gardener also told me she used blood meal on her squash and other vegetables, which look very lush. I recalled that I already had some at home, found it and will apply next time I go there. This should also deter the mice somewhat. Hoping to make better progress armed with these 2 pieces of knowledge.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I was going to have a garden this year and was quite excited about it - but the lawn service I hired never got around to plowing up the spot. It turns out to be just as well - I have my hands full with work, school, dogs, and making repairs/changes to the house then trying to fit in a little bit of a social life, some activities.

Maybe next year - I really want to grow a whole lot of tomatoes and potatoes. I'm sure I will be "here" asking for expert advice from many of you!!
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Update that plants are looking much greener after application of blood meal. I sprinkled some more around yesterday in anticipation of downpours today. I have a lot of green cherry tomatoes (7 plants). Finally have bean plants that have not been eaten but am a long way from getting blossoms or beans. Same for squash & zucchini. I should plant a couple of pumpkins in an empty spot. A few okra sprouted but very slow and small so far. Swiss chard has desperately been trying to go to seed so I give up and will let it. That is how I got a lot of volunteers last year.

Neighbor gave me plastic pots last year and I am using 7 large ones. They are working well but require extra/more frequent watering. I have 3 peppers in separate pots. Cucumbers and zucchini in the other pots in addition to being in the ground. We have problems w/ borers and I wanted to see if using the pots prevented this.
ferncircle

Post by ferncircle »

I have no time for the back yard and veggie garden so it's a total disaster. Ornamentals by the street and side of the house look nice.

Does anyone know if you can keep rushes (spiral ones) happy by burying a put and putting something in with the dirt to hold water? I have some cool spiral rushes but they want wet acid soil and it's just not gonna happen where I have them without some intervention.