Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
RecoveringDreamer

Re: Anyone Started Their 2017 Garden Plans

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I finally got my seed order. Phew.

This year I'm just going to buy tomato seedlings. I don't have a proper setup and I think that may affect my yields. I will grow some pepper seedlings and perhaps start some herbs to transplant and to give to my parents.

I am planning on growing on variety of big tomatoes and one of cherry. I have a Christmas tree style pepper seed that is more of an ornamental, sweet pepper that I am going to put in the front garden. No eggplant this year since I never get a good yield. No okra because DH doesn't like fried okra, so it doesn't seem prudent. Someday when I have a big garden and I've converted him..

I got 4 kinds of lettuce and plan to be better about growing greens this year. I also got collard and mustard greens. While working on the farm, I got into the habit of eating more cooked greens, so this is more important now than ever.

I have tons of herbs/seasonings to grow: parsley, thyme, oregano, basil (a couple kinds), mint, dill, savory, rosemary, chives, scallions, etc. I am currently growing inside: thyme, oregano, basil, sage and rosemary. I love having fresh herbs and I also dehydrated a lot last year. I plan to grow more herbs this year.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I have chives from last year and they are all doing well. going to buy some more herbs for a fresh herb garden in a container. until I retire I am going to just keep it simple. happy to say my landscaping is all done! cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Started the real garden work (planting) today. So far I have only kept weeds under control. Today I planted bush green beans, lettuce, beets. Other beds ready to be planted soon. Next-door gardener was at her plot and gave me green onions she planted last fall. I have chard and parsley that could be picked. Hoping for good weather this weekend but Sunday does not look promising.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We have bought our seed potatoes, and set onions. I am hoping to get much of the rest over the next couple of weeks. Once the garden dries up a bit after the rain Hubby will work it up and then we (or should I say he) will start planting.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Many things have sprouted already and I have transplanted some things I started indoors. Already planted: bush and pole beans, lettuce, beets, yellow squash & zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts. 3 pepper plants I had to buy. Okra and herb seeds planted but not sprouted yet. I have 6 cucumber seedlings indoors. I started eggplant seeds in pots indoors but nothing has come up. Maybe it wants warmer weather.

Overwintered romaine, swiss chard, parsley, leaf celery. So basically I just have salad/greens available at the moment.

Still to plant: basil, pumpkins & spaghetti squash, zinnias, green onions.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Hm, still have the same "to plant" list. I did not get much done over the past week. I DID cook 3 different recipes with swiss chard - I liked 2 of them. It is bolting and I have cut it back. It may keep producing, we will see. Tomatoes are flowering. I have cucumber seedlings to transplant. Only have 2 tiny eggplants that sprouted, nowhere close to being able to plant those.