Garden Harvests

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
MackerelCat

Re: Garden Harvests

Post by MackerelCat »

My little herb garden produced like crazy this year. Only the basil didn't do well, and I think it was in too dry of a spot.

My only other food-producing plant is the dwarf black fig tree, which just went crazy this year and has dozens of figs on it. It's only 4 feet tall and so heavy with figs that we had to prop up the limbs. I pick between 2 and 5 every day. Not enough to do anything with them except enjoy them fresh, but that tastes like such a wonderful little luxury.

On the lowest branches, I usually find a ripe one with tiny tooth marks on it, which I suspect come from the puppy testing to see if it's edible because she crawls under there while I'm picking or inspecting the tree. I always pick that marked one and let her eat it when it's ready.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Our garden did not produce like it usually does. I thing the drought had a great deal to do with this.

Hopefully there will be a change next year.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
NancyCrary

Post by NancyCrary »

It requires a lot to maintain a garden and its plantations. Our garden is doing fine for now! Best luck to all!
Ericakerr

Post by Ericakerr »

Harvesting is one of the insightful job to do.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

No garden this year due to the cold monsoon rains spring into summer.

I just picked two bags of keifer pears today and will go out later and pick more. The tree is loaded with pears too many for its small branches. These are canning and cooking pears so they need to ripen off of the tree for a while before I do anything with them. I have Johnathan apples that are ripening and I will be checking on them to see if they are ready to be picked. My peaches did not develop this year due to the arctic blast that we got around the time they were starting to bud out. Saw some chokecherries on some low lying branches. Not enough to do anything with unless I find more elsewhere.

I have one basil plant that was a volunteer from some planted a couple of years ago. I brought the pot in over the winter and put it outside late July. It is really producing. In fact cut a lot off to give to my aide yesterday.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sandi not sure if you will like this but I make a vegetable dish with corn cut off of the cob that was combined with zucchini, onions, and green pepper. All in a small dice. They were sauteed in a small amount of oil and butter. I found the recipe years ago somewhere. The recipe called for fresh or dried dill. For years it just did not sound good so I left it off. All I could think was it would taste like a dill pickle...lol However one day I took the plunge and added some fresh dill. It was an amazing taste. I have tried it with dried dill as well. When I was a vegetarian I use to eat it for my main dish.. One of my nieces said that this was her favorite vegetable dish. Good way to use up zucchini if you have an over abundance of them. The dish does not freeze well due to the zucchini becomes really soggy but with fresh it is so yummy.
Janet Alliesmama