Garden Harvests

New to gardening or a seasoned pro? This is the place to share your knowledge or ask a question.
RecoveringDreamer

Garden Harvests

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Has anyone started getting a harvest from their garden?

Mine isn't doing fantastic, but I'm getting some. Every day I get a handful of small peppers. About once a week I get several larger Hungarian hot wax peppers. My basil is going gangbusters and I'm harvesting a lot as often as I want, about every other day. I'm also getting a lot of other herbs, mainly oregano, marjoram and rosemary, but also sage, parsley and cilantro.

I got my garlic harvest in for the year. 75 heads of garlic. Some where small, but most were decent and some larger than normal. I'm very excited and have been using tons of it in cooking. Last year all of my harvest got caught in a rain while curing and I lost it all. I had to buy new seed stock, so I grew half as much as usual. I do have a good amount of garlic to plant this fall.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
SandiSAHM

Re: Garden Harvests

Post by SandiSAHM »

RecoveringDreamer wrote:Has anyone started getting a harvest from their garden?

Mine isn't doing fantastic, but I'm getting some. Every day I get a handful of small peppers. About once a week I get several larger Hungarian hot wax peppers. My basil is going gangbusters and I'm harvesting a lot as often as I want, about every other day. I'm also getting a lot of other herbs, mainly oregano, marjoram and rosemary, but also sage, parsley and cilantro.

I got my garlic harvest in for the year. 75 heads of garlic. Some where small, but most were decent and some larger than normal. I'm very excited and have been using tons of it in cooking. Last year all of my harvest got caught in a rain while curing and I lost it all. I had to buy new seed stock, so I grew half as much as usual. I do have a good amount of garlic to plant this fall.

Yes. So far, lettuce, chard, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and dill (DD uses them to make refrigerator dill pickles), basil, and chives. It's the first year the container garden is making itself worthwhile.

We had beets, but the bugs ate them. We'll have to try those again and do some fall lettuce and chard after these crazy temps and scorching sun go away.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I started getting green beans and cherry tomatoes about 2 weeks ago. I get about 1/2 gallon bag of beans and a dozen tomatoes every few days. Squash and zucchini and cucumber plants not doing well. Okra is about knee-high and the largest plant has 1 pod I should pick soon, but that is it. Mice ate beet roots. I planted peppers in pots and have several small ones coming along. I cut the chard back severely as it kept trying to flower over and over. I think the plants are weakened, we'll see when the weather cools what they decide to do. 1st basil planting did not germinate well. I just planted a 2nd round of basil and they are sprouting, have to keep them watered. I have herbs and a leaf celery but don't use them a great deal.

I will clear the 1st bean patch soon and may try carrots & beets again.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Still getting tomatoes and green beans (from 2nd planting). The pole beans are flowering so I hope that will be the 3rd bean harvest. Tomatoes I planted are almost done, but there are 3 volunteer tomatoes coming along in different spots. Okra is producing a bit and will increase. I have pulled up all the squash/zucchini since it all looks sickly and not producing. Peppers in pots were big enough to pick several. I have a couple of cucumber plants producing though less than I would like. Trying to come up with seeds for fall plantings. I waited too late and seeds are gone from the stores. I know better... :cry:
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I ordered seeds over the internet from a company seedsnow.com They have nice small packs priced around $1-2. Turnips, beets, spinach were planted about 10 days ago and are sprouting. Pole beans are still producing. I made a cold bean salad with italian dressing and parmesan that DH approved of. Still geting some okra. I have frozen beans, tomatoes, okra. The swiss chard was consumed down to the stalks by some sort of bug or caterpillar, I don't think it will revive. I will plant the lettuce soon as the weather has turned surprisingly cool. Normally we are still hot in September.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

My garden hasn't done well this year, not like past years, not sure why. I DID get plenty of weeds & squash bugs tho. :lol:

I replanted my pole beans 2x, but for my 3-1/2 rows, I still only got 4 surviving plants and a volunteer bean plant in a zucchini plant. My giant purple vining lima beans didn't grow any taller than my ankle, but they are producing pods, so I'll get a few dried beans from them next month.

Squash and zucchini plants are pretty well dead between heavy squash bugs and powdery mildew; my pumpkins produced 2 funny-looking zucchini-looking things, my hubbard plants turned out to be butternut and have given me 7-8 squash that I'm allowing to cure on vine.

The corn is all short and spindly; the tomatoes just started ripening; the peppers are starting to come on NOW, and the onions aren't much bigger than they were as seed bulbs -- I'm tempted to pull all onions and over-winter them to plant again next year.

I DID get a plentiful supply of onion seed from last year's white onions.