Free Fruit?!

Free food rocks! Come share your latest foraging find, or come to learn. Both newbies and seasoned vets are welcome.
11cats2beagles

Re: Free Fruit?!

Post by 11cats2beagles »

So now that I'm "in the city" I miss my wild apple trees that I used to forage from every year. However, the other day on a walk with one of the dogs, I noticed an apple tree on the grassy area by the road - in front of a hotel. The tree is just loaded with apples and many are falling on the ground. Tempting...but I wonder if I should ask permission from the hotel or the city...?? Sad, all those apples going to waste.

We already went apple picking at an orchard but the call of free fruit is strong, lol.
ErinHuffstetler
Site Admin

Post by ErinHuffstetler »

I would ask the hotel. There are usually rules that allow you to pick fruit that overhangs/falls on public property, but I think it's usually best to ask. Fingers crossed they say yes :)
Erin Huffstetler
Editor, MyFrugalHome.com
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

ErinHuffstetler wrote:I would ask the hotel. There are usually rules that allow you to pick fruit that overhangs/falls on public property, but I think it's usually best to ask. Fingers crossed they say yes :)
Thank you for the tip Erin. S.O. also things we should ask...even if we just box up the apples and take them to the local food pantry...the thought of all that fruit going to rot is too much for the both of us!
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

It's citrus season now, but I can't find anyone that wants me to come take their fruit. I posted online but no responses. I could post on craigslist but am worried about predators/nutjobs luring me over in such a manner.
I ended up going to a local citrus farm and picking, i think, about 60 lbs of lemons. I am juicing them and freezing them in 1 qt bags. When thawed, I refill the lemon juice bottle I had been buying at Costco.
BTW I do have a lemon tree, but it's been weird and not blooming consistently!! grrr.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

What a great idea. and I have the same feelings about craigs list too. I have some antiques I would like to sell so I am just going to the local antiques mall and see what I can get for them. I am sick of dusting them off! cj
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well free raspberries last night and hopefully some free cherries, apples and plums a bit later (need to check on the plums this week).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/