FORAGING FINDS

Free food rocks! Come share your latest foraging find, or come to learn. Both newbies and seasoned vets are welcome.
alliesmama4

Re: FORAGING FINDS

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote:Janet, I read recently that the tiny pink spring flowers called Spring Beauty have an edible tuber and supposedly taste like chestnuts with the consistency of a baked potato when cooked.

Thanks Mackie I have never heard of them before. I just looked them up. Not sure if we have any but they are suppose to be growing in Southern IL where I live. It will be interesting to see if I can find some..Thanks again. Janet

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/re ... flower.xml
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Even if you don't eat them, they are such a spirit-lifter to find in the grass early in the spring. They're the first wildflowers to bloom here and I love seeing those gauzy drifts of pale pink in the lawn.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote:Even if you don't eat them, they are such a spirit-lifter to find in the grass early in the spring. They're the first wildflowers to bloom here and I love seeing those gauzy drifts of pale pink in the lawn.

Mackie Now that you mention the gauzy drifts of pale pink I might have some and just never knew what they were. Thanks again. Janet
Janet Alliesmama
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

11cats2beagles wrote:Not exactly foraging but we have enjoyed some of the bounty from our neighbor's garden. He grows extra for giving away and we have been invited to help ourselves and he has also brought us catnip, chives, hot peppers, tomatoes, string beans.

We gave him a jar of home canned grape juice that we made and a container of homemade pasta sauce that S.O. made -- try to "pay it back" a bit. :) Plus, our neighbor is very busy with working part time and taking care of his elderly mother so S.O. has mowed his lawn a couple of times.
This pretty much sums up what I think community should be.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

While doing some weeding in my flower garden this evening saw quite a few wild onions. I will harvest some tomorrow and use them in an omelet for breakfast and then the rest will be harvested in a few days to be used in a quiche. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

While working in my flower garden this morning, after removing a lot of "stuff" found more green onions. I pulled them and most came up with their bulb and some had little bulbs attached. those can be replanted to grow more onions. I am going to plant them along side of the house where my DB will not run over them with the lawn mower. I am going to make a pork stir fry with the onions using rehydrated pork chops from my emergency supplies. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama