Trimming your own hair short and evenly

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
MackerelCat

Trimming your own hair short and evenly

Post by MackerelCat »

I have tried to explain this before, but it needs a visual aid. All you need is wet hair, a comb, a mirror, a stretchy cloth headband, and a pair of scissors to cut your hair short and evenly:
haircut silhouette.jpg
This works best on wavy hair, and results in a short bobbed hairstyle. Because the edge of the headband gives you a border to use as you trim, a mirror to see behind you is not necessary. You just follow the edges of the band as you trim.

My hair had gotten long enough that I also trimmed the sides, following the line of the headband. It came out really cute.
Mackie
LWolfT

Re: Trimming your own hair short and evenly

Post by LWolfT »

Cool ... I've never tried it with a headband. Always used masking tape.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I've never tried it with tape! For slightly longer hair, you can move the headband down to your chin, but you won't be talking much while doing the haircut. :)
Mackie
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Great idea! I have to work up my nerve to try it! I have asked dh to help me trim my hair but he does not want to attempt it. cj
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

If you do the big trim, would he be willing to comb it down and snip off any stragglers? There are usually a few slightly longer strands of a few hairs and I sort them out by feel.

My hair is very wavy and very forgiving, so I'm pretty comfortable trying dramatic stuff on it. I would not do this if my hair was straight, because straight hair shows every mark when you cut it.
Mackie
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Mine is straight and wirey! a bad haircut shows on me. I have gotten some of the best haircuts at supercuts and fantastic sams, so it really has nothing to do with the price, imo. cj