What are your DIY failures, not worth time or effort?

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
blondeinbuffalo

What are your DIY failures, not worth time or effort?

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I have many diy fails! here are just two:

I tried to make laundry soap in liquid form, too much effort when I can get on sale for next to nothing.

suet for the birds, too messy and not really saving much. I can get individual suets on sale for 79 cents.

These are my two biggest fails, do you have any you would like to share? cj
dlrcpa

Re: What are your DIY failures, not worth time or effort?

Post by dlrcpa »

Making my own candied fruit peel - grapefruit and orange. I like fruitcake but this stuff was a lot of work and not as tasty as what can be bought. I also made green tomato jam last fall to salvage the last of the tomatoes. Won't be making that again! I tried making peach jam a few years ago and it did not gel, so not worth the time either.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Homemade oat milk. It was rather vile-tasting and couldn't be used in coffee.

Homemade laundry detergent was a no-go for me too, simply because I can get liquid detergent dirt cheap at Big Lots or Dollar General. Homemade dishwasher detergent simply couldn't cope with our hard water, so that was a failure too.
Mackie
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Homemade Pocky sticks. I made the dough and tried so carefully to pipe them into skinny little lines. As soon as they hit the oven, they expanded into massive weird shapes. They tasted just like pocky sticks, but looked terrible. And since the shape was all wrong, they didn't have that bit of fun, so I don't know that I'll try again.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com