Serger tips?

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
Quilter51

Serger tips?

Post by Quilter51 »

So while I was gone I got a serger for Christmas. I was terrified of it and I was busy finishing quilts for clients but now I've taken a class and have started playing. I made a tablet sleeve and am ready to start a shirt. Anyone else have one of these,? Any tips?
dlrcpa

Re: Serger tips?

Post by dlrcpa »

I don't have one but I am sure the internet has loads of info. Did you ever see the PBS series "Sewing with Nancy" (Nancy Zieman)? Her web site probably has videos and I am sure there are others.

How do you go about getting quilting clients? Are the quilts custom made? What sizes?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I still am a bit terrified of my serger truth be told.

However that being said, I do use it to finish off seams of garments. Mine is only a 4 spool serger so it can't be used to really make those seams that a person sees in the ready made clothing. I set it for just a tad under my usual seam allowance and go for it. I have my nicely finished seam and it won't separate which I love.

I have also used it to make small fleece throws or baby burp cloths.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yes, my quilts are custom made mostly. I have a Facebook page and rely on word of mouthe as well.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I've had a serger for almost 13 years, and I love it! Mine is a Janome 604D; it is a 4 spool machine that can be adjusted to run on three spools or only two spools. I use it A lot when I make dresses & nightgowns for my girls, and pretty much actually for any sewing project sesms: sleeves, anything else like that. I have learned how to use it for hems, but no longer remember how and I'm not willing to take a chance on ruining a project so I do my hems by regular sewing machine. I've also used it to edge flannel blankets for my children & for gifts.

I know there are lots of YouTube videos they can show you how to use them, you might even find some using your same machine Brand.