A question for the knitters/crocheters in the group

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
gaylejackson2

A question for the knitters/crocheters in the group

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hi frugal friends,

Today I was reading through my email and came across a lovely crocheted granny square afghan pattern from Purl Soho, that I'd really like to try making.

Here's the pattern & the recommended yarn. https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2016/11 ... Recipients Well, nowhere that I was able to find, does it say what the weight is, and only after I checked knitpicks.com did I find this yarn (Super Tuff Puff yarn) http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Super_Tu ... 20233.html, that seems to be about the same weight as the Purl Soho yarn.

So my question for you is, can I use 2 strands of worsted weight yarn to make this afghan, and will it work out okay?

=) Gayle
ohjodi

Re: A question for the knitters/crocheters in the group

Post by ohjodi »

Worsted is the way to go! Two strands works with a P or N hook, but if you use a Q hook it might be lacier than you want. I once made a huge ripple afghan with an N hook and two strands.....weighed a ton but it worked up quick lol

Do you have any scrap worsted laying around? Work up one of the squares and see how it turns out.

Craftsy.com has tons of yarn on sale right now. INSANE prices.

https://www.craftsy.com/knitting/shop/knitting-yarn I like Lion Brand (Vanna's, specifically) and Bernat, but they have a whole lot of the fancier brands, too.
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

of course my dear. All the time. And although I do not crochet, I generally use the knitting needle or a crochet hook as a guide for the bulkiness of the yarn. I love worsted and use it the most although right now I have some hand dyed hand spun wool that I have no idea what to do with.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

And since we are talkingn about craftsy, all of their classes are 17.99 until monday, even the fifty dollar ones!!!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Quilter51 wrote:And since we are talkingn about craftsy, all of their classes are 17.99 until monday, even the fifty dollar ones!!!
That's a fantastic price. I've gotten a few classes for 14.99 and 9.99, but the more expensive ones are rarely below 20-25, if that.

I'd get a class but, um, I just bought a $30 crochet hook.

www.FurlsCrochet.com
ohjodi
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Do I have any scrap yarn laying around? :lol: Oh I have so much yarn laying around, its going to be difficult trying to figure out which one to use. ;)