Have you ever made... (2 more questions)

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
gaylejackson2

Have you ever made... (2 more questions)

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Okay I warned you all in today's (Nov 26, 2016) daily check-in that I was going to ask about 2 things that I think I recall having been discussed in the past. So without further beating around the bush, here goes.

Have you ever made 1) your own dryer balls, wool or not? 2) cloth menstrual pads? (yeah not a ? for the men on here, sorry guys if you startled at reading this.)

1)- Regarding the dryer balls, several years ago back when FL still lived at About, I seem to recall someone (or more than one) saying how she'd made a wool cloth ball shape then stuffed with quilt batting or pieces of cut up holey socks (with 7 of us, there's always holey socks to be found). i was wondering how that worked out for you, and what, if anything, you'd do differently?

So I was thinking that I'd crochet or knit, likely crochet as knitting still isn't quite my forte though I love it, a 100% wool yarn ball, then fill it with cut up holey socks. OR I'd make sock pieces into a ball, wind 100% wool yarn around it, then perhaps cover that with a crocheted wool cover -- as I've been reading about people making dryer balls out of wool yarn wound up in balls, but that some of the yarn was coming unwound despite its felted state.

2) Regarding the cloth menstrual pads, I know there are patterns for these, but again I had remembered a post from several years ago where someone (or more) had made her own. I wondered what kinds of fabric was used, how many layers, also if you'd made separate ones for light days & heavy days, etc.

I don't really have any ideas about making my own, other than my undergarments are not typical, so "wings" won't work with my clothes. Also, I've been thinking/wondering some time now about if the chemicals in the commercial pads are making my periods heavier... or perhaps its my own imagination.

Any help you want to give is appreciated.

=) Gayle
ohjodi

Re: Have you ever made... (2 more questions)

Post by ohjodi »

I was one who talked a lot about cloth menstrual pads. CHANGED MY LIFE! For me, within a few months, my horrible cramps were reduced by 80%, flow by at least half, and shortened by a couple days. Irritation was none. AND NO ODOR AT ALL. Of course, your mileage may vary.....but I suspect (and did some research at the time) that the dioxins and plastics in disposables are incredibly toxic, and may contribute to endometriosis and other things. This includes diapers. The increase in women with endometriosis correlates with the use of disposable diapers.

I did not make my own. I bought them from New Moon Pads.....I had planned on making my own but ended up having surgery and no more periods.

However, before I bought any, I folded up makeshift pads out of a lot of cotton flannel, just to see if it would mostly work and if I'd be willing to wear them. You could use an old flannel shirt, sheet, etc. I bought flannel in the clearance bin.

I folded them into pad-sized rectangles, with like 8-12 layers. OMG Let me tell you.........after about ten minutes of wearing the first one, I was like I AM NEVER WEARING DISPOSABLE AGAIN! It was.....cozy! I felt really relaxed because I didn't feel icky. The flannel absorbs a lot. I didn't have to change pads as often, because the flow was lighter, there was no odor, and the pad didn't get scrunched.

There are a lot of free patterns online, plus you know what kind of shape or thickness might work for you. New Moon Pads has changed their design since I had them, and I really liked the old design. The pad was kind of like an envelope, with wings, and you would insert liners into the envelope. The liners were just like ovals of 4 layers of flannel, serged around the edges. So on heavy days you could insert two or three liners, on light days one or none. Then they all came apart for soaking, washing, drying, and I liked that because a super thick pad might take forever to dry, or it might be harder to clean to the inside, etc.

I did order a couple of other ones on ebay, and I did not like them. They had the liners as I liked them........but the liners and the pad were all seamed around the edges, and that made the edges stiff and uncomfortable. You could also see the edges through some pants, especially at the back because the pad woudn't curve to contour to me well enough. . The New Moon Pads, everything was serged, so there wasn't any bulk on the edges. I don't sew, but I think if you dn't have a serger maybe you can just zig zag the edges?

Just get some flannel and fold it up to see what you think. Hope you like them! I wish I had discovered them when I was a teenager.
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I did not read Jodi's full reply but as I recall we are on the same page.

I never tried drier balls, mainly because the sheets don't bother me and I can re-use them in various ways afterwards. I don't have scent issues.

As for the pads, I came by them sideways if you will. I have always had issues with tampons, even as a teen (sorry if this is tmi). Since I don't know how else to put it I could literally "feel them" all the time. So post college somewhere I decided to do the pad thing unless the clothes were an issue or I were swiming. Many years after that, I had a circumstance where I had no pads and no way to get them (not a weather issue but will not go into it here). My emergency solution was to fold flannel around a washcloth. while I won't scream like Jodi, I will just say oh.my.lord.

They solved two problems almost immediately for me. Comfort and pads. Now for those of you who wear mainly tampoons and use pads as back up or emergencies, or for those who never have cramps, I salute you and ignore the rest of this. For those who do? No pain, no cramps and such comfort (in my case i never really needed tape as my underwear fit well). NOW as to the actuall making? If I were to start over again, I would find a pattern online (there are many) or simply buy them. mine was by a huge learning curbe and I made a mess.

A couple caveats re the ick factor: My husband did not mind as long as, just like pads or dirty undies, he did not see them in the bathroom. I made a special can. Some folks use a soak, but since at that point in my life I had multiple laundries going wshing them every day or so was not a problem. Now, I have clothes for two weeks so I might have the issue. I honestly never really got the ick factor other than that. Hope that answers some questions.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

just realized I didnt post specifically about the making or materials. I prefer the outside to be flannel that has been washed for absorbtion, with a tery clth inside. you can make them with wings or without and with velcro without. I can share links if interested
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

And another thing! My cloth pads were in several different colors and patterns, and I loved that. They were medium to darker colors, so I didn't have to bother with staining, and I have to say it was nice to see something cheerful, instead of a medical emergency looking scene, LOL

I wish I had discovered them earlier, because that was 20 years of horrible pain and illness. I would howl and cry, take any and all pain relivers that didnt work, vomit a lot, lay on the bathroom floor because I couldn't get up, weird twisting and shaking, it was terrible. With cloth pads, I'd just ache a little for a day or so. Take a couple of aleve, if I was at work I'd wear one of those self heating pads and that felt nice......before I couldn't even go to work.

Still, even though I felt so much better, every month I was still afraid that the cramps and everything would come back with a vengeance. They never did.
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I posted link to Erin's home made dryer balls. In DYI, where I have moved this. I don't use them but people swear by them.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/