Need advice, please!!

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
chocolite

Need advice, please!!

Post by chocolite »

I got a new-to-me glider/rocking chair about a year ago and love it. Actually Hobbes loves it...so much that I sometimes have to fight to sit in it. :-) Then, about a month or two ago I bought a glider ottoman to go with it. Both ended up costing me $60.

The trouble is, the ottoman is in a much lighter finish and the fabric is different. It still looks okay to me, but if it was not a difficult job, I might be interested in staining it and maybe recovering the cushion. BUT.....I am not really a DIYer and I have no clue how to go about doing that.

I know I can look on youtube and get step-by-step instructions, but I trust you guys to let me know what difficulties I might run into doing this; if it's even really a job a newbie like me could accomplish; and finally, if I just leave it as is, does it look okay? Picture is attached.
Patty
Heloise

Re: Need advice, please!!

Post by Heloise »

Hi, Chocolite!

Wow! I think it looks great! Now, if you still feel that you're not 100% pleased, how about looking for some really nice fabric, something along the lines of a rich gold and red brocade, or tapestry styled fabric with some rich bold colours (reds, blues, yellows), and making an ottoman throw?

I think when you combine and mix plain whites with bold colours, you end up with a colourful palette that adds a sense of grandeur without being too overly ornate or decorative.

What do you think?
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Thanks Heloise! I think I will just leave it as is. Since I am not a diy'er I really am afraid I would screw it up. :-)
Patty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I don't like doing upholstery work unless I absolutely have to. I would leave as is or perhaps cover the back of the rocker with a throw using the colour of the ottoman. As far as the finishes on the wood, it looks just fine.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

chocolite wrote:Thanks Heloise! I think I will just leave it as is. Since I am not a diy'er I really am afraid I would screw it up. :-)
The nice part about a throw is it's essentially a blanket so it can be draped over the back of a couch or chair as a decorative addition.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Jackielou wrote:I don't like doing upholstery work unless I absolutely have to. I would leave as is or perhaps cover the back of the rocker with a throw using the colour of the ottoman. As far as the finishes on the wood, it looks just fine.
Thanks, Jackie. I have a blue throw on the back of the rocker now.
Patty