Need to shorten some sleeves

Come brag about your latest DIY, or teach us how to do something new.
MackerelCat

Need to shorten some sleeves

Post by MackerelCat »

DH has three nice dress shirts that he tore the elbow out of. I mended them and he ripped them out again! I think there's some sharp edge at his workstation that's snagging his shirts, as it hasn't happened since he started wearing a heavy sweater.

I want to shorten the sleeves of these damaged shirts to make them short-sleeved, but since DH never wears short sleeves, I have no idea what length to cut them off at. If anyone here has a large men's short-sleeved dress shirt, could you measure the sleeve length on the inside seam and let me know?

Thanks!

(I will shorten the sleeves and then see if DS can wear the shirts. If they don't fit him, I will donate them. They are in great shape aside from the ripped elbows.)
Mackie
LWolfT

Re: Need to shorten some sleeves

Post by LWolfT »

Mackie, a quick measure of a couple of DH's shirts showed 7 inches from the inside seam (10 inches from the top shoulder seam). That's after hemming.
If your DS is agreeable to wearing them, you might see if he'll try one one and let you check the length ... I know DH doesn't like his short sleeves too "long."
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Oh, thank you! I think I will trim and pin up the hems to 7 inches and then have DS try them on. Short sleeves that hit the elbow crease are annoying, so that's something I'll check for.
Mackie
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 pm Oh, thank you! I think I will trim and pin up the hems to 7 inches and then have DS try them on. Short sleeves that hit the elbow crease are annoying, so that's something I'll check for.
If you haven't already shortened his sleeves, you could also have him put on his shirt, inside out, then have him show you where he wants the finished edge of the sleeve to be.

Any time I have had to alter (and I used to alter lots of people's clothing) clothes, I'd have the owner put it on inside out so I could mark the new hem with pins.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is brilliant, Gayle. I have not yet cut the sleeves off, so that will work great.
Mackie
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

How about having him put on a nice-fitting t-shirt underneath it? It might allow you to figure out where to make your cuts. Just be sure to add an inch or two for hemming before getting scissor happy.