cooking over an open fire or fire pit.

Big farm or backyard homestead -- if you're interested in homesteading there's a way to make it work. Come explore the possibilities.
gaylejackson2

Re: cooking over an open fire or fire pit.

Post by gaylejackson2 »

dlrcpa wrote:I have often wondered about using a dutch oven for cooking near the fire/coals. Mine is aluminum. DH also has a ceramic "bean pot" that might work better?
We use dutch ovens for cooking when we're camping, but they are cast iron and meant to withstand heavy heat and meant to be placed directly in hot coals to cook the food inside.

i would think that your aluminum & ceramic pots may not work effectively, or burn your food.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Lots of great advice and ideas thus far!

To add, find yourself a small steel grill that you can prop-up over the red-hot coals for grilling. The flavour is to die for.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Gayle do you ever make the Dutch oven cobbler they taught us to do in scouts? I remember going to scout camp with my son and a couple of nights we had peach cobbler. So good!

Bev
Jens_Cats

Post by Jens_Cats »

We've cooked over a fire many times. The biggest thing I've learned is that food cooks really, really fast, so you have to watch it.

For a while, we were exclusively cooking over a fire back in MD. It was an experiement. Unfortunately, we could not keep enough wood stocked, and it is very work intensive to do all your cooking that way.

We have a grill to go over our fire pit now, but we haven't cooked outside yet.

Jen M, WV
Sage Alley: My green/simple living blog:
http://sagealley.blogspot.com
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have a grill basket which I used to cook hamburgers and chicken. They came out good. The basket is good because there is no worry about stuff sticking to the grill. I just turn the basket.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

BevMoore wrote:Gayle do you ever make the Dutch oven cobbler they taught us to do in scouts? I remember going to scout camp with my son and a couple of nights we had peach cobbler. So good!

Bev
Bev,

My hubby loves to make Dutch oven cobbler, but I don't make it anymore. Too much gluteny dust floating around makes my Celiac symptoms go wild for 7-10 days.