Preparing for Disasters

Big farm or backyard homestead -- if you're interested in homesteading there's a way to make it work. Come explore the possibilities.
Jackielou

Preparing for Disasters

Post by Jackielou »

While my little corner of Canada does not suffer from earthquakes, or tornadoes (once in a blue moon) or hurricanes we do have some natural disasters otherwise known as blizzards.

I prepare for this type of storm by stocking up on canned goods, keeping my freezers and fridge well stocked, having a good supply of blankets on hand, candles, battery operated lights and radio, and an alternate method of cooking.

How do you prepare for those disasters that may affect you?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Re: Preparing for Disasters

Post by colonialgirl »

Hubs is big on prep -
We have a whole house generator, portable generator, propane camp stove and oven and lots of propane canisters, lanterns, candles, first aid kit, and a large stock of food. We also keep a stock of firewood.

I save milk cartons and soda two liters and fill with water and fill in empty spots in the freezer to have a supply of ice and keep the food colder.

We keep a thousand dollars in small denominations hidden and accessible and twenty extra gallons of gasoline for the car. We also try to not let the car ever get below one half tank of gas. We are working on a bug out bag but still need a few things, like sleeping bags.

I am not expecting a zombie apocalypse or a government shutdown, but with the annual changes we are seeing in climate patterns and weather, we feel we need to be prepared for emergencies.I think we could be without power or supply lines for groceries.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

The most likely Natural disaster in my area is tornadoes. I have to admit to not thinking about disaster preparedness on a daily basis. But I do keep pantry means on hand, canned tuna and Peanut butter. At Y2K we had an extra take of propane for the grill, but we need to upgrade to a second newer style tank.

We rarely lose power and are within walking distance of a lot of stores, gas stations, etc. So I guess we have been lulled into a false sense of security.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Seeing friends who have weathered hurricanes, I've decided that it is better to leave than shelter in place.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote:Seeing friends who have weathered hurricanes, I've decided that it is better to leave than shelter in place.
So do you have your "bug out" bag ready? If so what do you keep in it?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote:
floridacatlover wrote:Seeing friends who have weathered hurricanes, I've decided that it is better to leave than shelter in place.
So do you have your "bug out" bag ready? If so what do you keep in it?
No, I really don't have a bag prepared. I probably should put something together but I am lulled into complacency because we usually have several days warning. (There may be a tropical wave or tropical storm in a few days but the weather people say it won't become a hurricane.)

I did put together a "hospital bag" for my uncle when he lived alone. It had pjs, a change of clothes including a sweatshirt, "who to notify" information, paper and pen and a few other things. He was not taking any Rx but if he had been I would have included those plus medication info.