Fall Chores and Preparations

Big farm or backyard homestead -- if you're interested in homesteading there's a way to make it work. Come explore the possibilities.
LWolfT

Re: Fall Chores and Preparations

Post by LWolfT »

A little early for us to start, tho DH has been splitting wood.
Will have to get the gardens pulled, cut the hostas back, etc. Also need to get the furnace serviced, and the chimney swept.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

1. I need to cut my mint and dry it for winter tea. I am going to repot some for indoors this winter.

2. I am going to remove all of the dirt from my earth boxes and wash them really good for the winter. Come spring they will be ready to be refilled..It was too wet this past spring and summer to do that.

3. I am going to remove a small dead tree in my front yard and will put some of the dirt from my earth boxes in the hole. I need to cut down one very small, almost dead apple tree, and the same for one pear tree. Neither have flourished and it has been 10 years or more.Will dig a hole where the the apple tree was located to plant a new apple tree in Nov. There already is one apple tree that is big and producing a few apples now but with another tree to pollinate it it should do better next spring. Spring time is when I used to plant my fruit trees but my DH said it is best to plant them in the Fall. I looked it up and he was right..I can only afford one tree this Fall. I know it sounds like heavy duty work but the trees are barely 3 inches in diameter and I have a auger to dig the hole.. so not really all that hard to do.

4. My DB has black walnuts trees on his property and this year I plan on gathering some and using them. I know some people do not like them but I love them and since there are a ton of them it would be a shame not to use them. I know where there is a pecan tree and I will gather some for my use but leave some for the squirrels.

Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

[quote][/quote]1. I need to cut my mint and dry it for winter tea. I am going to repot some for indoors this winter.

Allies mama I just cut back all my mint. I'm going to dry for tea and then the plants will go in the greenhouse for winter.

We are going to expand the garden and DH has decided that the time to till it all up is this week. Lol. I'd prefer to wait a few weeks.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

The mint is growing in one of my earth boxes on my deck. I am going to clean all of them out and replant in the spring. I am surprised I have had so much mint from just a couple of plants that reseeded every year. I would love to have a green house!
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Dh split all of the wood from the trees cut down this summer. I stacked it today. Should be enough for this winter.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well the veggie garden has been put to sleep for another year. Hubby and I also dumped out all the baskets, pots and large planters today. We will be making a trip to the free day at the landfill tomorrow.

Leaves are mostly raked up.

Tomorrow I plan on putting away the outdoor cushions and table umbrella.

Some time next week air conditioners will be removed or covered.

Then comes the fun part of checking caulking around windows, hauling out the draft dodgers, blowing the leaves and such out of the eaves troughs and down spouts, and getting the screens out of the windows.

Stocking up on things we will only buy once in awhile (cleaning supplies) will begin after this.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/