Fall decorating

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
delighted99

Re: Fall decorating

Post by delighted99 »

rinty wrote:
delighted99 wrote:I know some of us have been thinking about decorating for fall. Has anyone started? What does your fall decor usually consist of?

I don't do too much. I set out a brown and orange candle. Then if I see some of those mini pumpkins I'll set one or two of those out near the candles.

Maybe you can all share some ideas!
I absolutely LOVE the American way with Seasonal Décor. If you look on Kirkland website for the US, there is a ton of Fall Gorgeousness...........at Costco ( Kirkland) over here............nuthin'.

Fall décor simply seems Halloween décor which is Not the Same Thing ; )

So you have to be creative over here. I do have some American items I put out which are always remarked on.

I change over all candles to autumnal colours and burn Fall type scented ones...........Fireside Treats and Cinnamon Stick by Yankee Candle are my favourites. I have some thick wired ribbon for Costco, one is plain burlap, the other is burlap overprinted with a glittery maple leaf pattern. That gets tied around large candle sconces and big lanterns I have out year round .

I pull out throws and cushions in more earthy colours which changes up the room décor, I also save magazines and the Fall ones come out on the coffee tables ; )

My top tip is decorating with food. Frugal AND gorgeous. At the moment its too early to find squashes and pumpkins in the shops but I fill a duck egg blue wooden tray with them tied up with the burlap ribbon and that makes a lovely centrepiece that lasts for weeks.

Last year I picked up a fab brown glass bowl printed with golden/coppery leaves for 50p ( HURRAH) Last year it held my only nod to Seasonal Fall décor........Reeses Pieces in Halloween foil wrappers...........this year I will do better.
Wow, sounds like you are doing just fine with decorating. I love your ideas and wish I could try them. My toddler son would get into coffee table items for sure though. :)
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Once we are home I will start my fall decor. It isn't much but as I fall clean I add some fall runners, a wreath, some fall scented candles.

I don't decorate much at all for Halloween, perhaps a light up pumpkin and a plaster skull that one of our DS's found when they were young.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Sounds like I am the only one decorating for Halloween so farr. We will put hay bales on the porch with a scarecrow and pumpkins and gourds and mums and jack o lanterns.
In my living room I put a glass cloche on a cake plate with a skull under it. I dyed my 1970s granny boots black and lean them against my grandfather clock with a pair of orange and black knit striped stockings laid on top and a witches hat hanging from the corner. in my dining room I have a corner cupboard with antique creamware dishes and I put a couple of black fuzzy spiders crawling on the plates. I use a black and white jacquard coverlet for a tablecloth with a large knarled black tree as a centerpiece. Through the out the rest of the house I set out antique Halloween decorations, like paper mâché jack o lanterns. On my little round kitchen table I have an orange and black checked cloth with a lighted jack o lantern as a centrpiece

After Halloween, I leave all the autumn colors out. put on a fall tablecloths and change the china in my corner cupboard to a set with brown and gold and pheasants and quails. I use an antique wooden dough bowl with a white turkey tureen in it and filled in with gourds and fake leaves and acorns and scatter acorns across the rest of the table.
These stay out until December 1st when I start on Christmas. I love, love to do holiday decor. Bet you got that from the essay, huh? Sorry bout that.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

colonialgirl, it's interesting how you first go to halloween and then go to the general fall decor. your house sounds like an amazing place to visit this time of year.
nbeaver

Post by nbeaver »

I've done some of my fall decor: washed and put out fall themed placemats,table runners, dish towels, and potholders, put up a fall wreath, got out fall-colored and scented candles, put out a couple of small (indoor) scarecrows and put fall picks in the plants. Outdoors, I have only put out the cornstalks that I gathered and bundled from the garden. I still have to get DH to bring up some straw bales and will buy pumpkins and a few mums when I can find a good price. We do have some mums already planted that are beginning to bloom. I love fall decor, and most of it will stay in place from September 15 to Thanksgiving, although I have a few things that are more "Halloween" which are out only in October and a few things which are specifically Thanksgiving which will be out only in November. The day after Thanksgiving we switch fall decor for Christmas, which I also love.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks delighted. I don't know about amazing. Maybe folks would be amazed by saying wow why doesn't she clean instead of putting up all these decorations - ha!

I just have a bad case of Martha-itis.