Thanksgiving Plans Anyone

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
Jackielou

Thanksgiving Plans Anyone

Post by Jackielou »

I know that the American Thanksgiving isn't until November, but up here in the Great White North, Thanksgiving is in two weeks. Does anyone have plans for their holiday this year?

I sort of have my menu plans made, well at least the main protein..... Turkey, but would like to serve some different sides. Any ideas out there.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Re: Thanksgiving Plans Anyone

Post by dlrcpa »

Nephew and wife and baby are coming east. Then we are all going up to Pittsburgh to visit DH and sis-in-law's family up there. I will bake biscotti to take as gifts, it is always a big hit. I think I brought cookies last time (a few years ago) as well. They don't really expect us to bring food.

Looking forward to getting a good priced turkey for my freezer though!
ShawnH1964

Post by ShawnH1964 »

We are up in the air this year. Between work schedules and changing family dynamics it is going to be different this year. Hopefully we can all get together for our family meal, but I am sure it won't be on Thanksgivig day, but hopefully that week!

I think having Thanksgiving early is a great idea! The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a crazy time :-(

Take care,
Shawn
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

LOL. Shawn, we Canadians think you have Thanksgiving a bit late. Perhaps the difference in harvest times????? Usually by the second week of October all the harvest is in and things have quieted down here in Saskatchewan.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Might be the difference in harvest times ... the particular date has bounced around a bit, though.
The U.S. didn't have a national Thanksgiving Day until 1863 -- President Lincoln designated the last Thursday in November as the holiday.
But in 1939, Franklin Roosevelt declared it to be on the fourth Thursday. There were 5 Thursdays in the month that year (which was during the Depression) and he was convinced to do it to lengthen the Christmas shopping season. The fourth Thursday date was set by federal law in 1941.

And I'm sure that's more than you've ever wanted to know about Thanksgiving in the U.S. :D
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I just reminded DH that last year when we stayed home for Thanksgiving (just the 2 of us - very quiet) we had a "Colonial" theme. I thought that was fun. Corn/spoonbread and roasted vegetables with the turkey. DH got funny and downloaded some very weird music from Itunes that was supposed to be from the time period also for our dinner music.