Labor Day Plans

Keep the holidays debt-free and sane. Share your tips, and check in with your progress.
blondeinbuffalo

Labor Day Plans

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Good morning all! What are you plans for Labor Day and what are you going to do to keep it fun and frugal. we are going to have a small bbq. we are supplying the meats and grill and asking everyone else to bring their best picnic dish. I got a really good sale on chicken breasts and this is what dh will be grilling. please share what you all will be doing? cj
mbrudnic

Re: Labor Day Plans

Post by mbrudnic »

We are road tripping from Cincinnati to Rochester NY for DS's marcing band competition. IF they don;t make finals, we need to get DS home in time for his HS band at the football game Sunday afternoon. I did not want to go but do not want Hubby to have to drive 16 hours out of 36 hours. Hubby did manage to find a hotel outside the beltway for his points. So now the big dilemma is do we take the comfy luxury car or the fuel-efficient one? We will leave Saturday morning and come home Sunday. IF DS is with us, we will leave at 4 AM.

Maggie
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

We are staying home. FIL is coming for a visit and the extra day off will allow us to catch up on some chores and projects that we are behind on.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

Saturday night invited to dinner at friends' house.

I got hot dogs from the freezer, need to buy buns and hamburger buns for DH. Will make potato salad I guess (have not made any yet this summer!)

Depending on the weather I will be in the garden or sewing if stuck indoors. I think I need to clean & put away deck furniture, we hope they start to power-wash and re-stain the house soon.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:Good morning all! What are you plans for Labor Day and what are you going to do to keep it fun and frugal. we are going to have a small bbq. we are supplying the meats and grill and asking everyone else to bring their best picnic dish. I got a really good sale on chicken breasts and this is what dh will be grilling. please share what you all will be doing? cj
We will be doing much the same as you, youngest DS will be home so likely the two men will go fishing.

Our celebration will happen on the Sunday as DS will be heading home on the Monday morning.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

Everyone's plans sound lovely!

It's my birthday weekend, so we're going out of town. I usually work mondays, but we don't have production for the holiday. We are going to go to DH's home city (where we lived when we first got together). We will visit his family the first afternoon (Sunday). His family treats us to dinner when we come out since it's a 700 mile drive. We may go to a play that first night. I am using Goldstar for half off tickets (I love the theatre, and rarely go, so I figure $10 a ticket on my birthday isn't bad). I booked us a decent hotel for $50. This hotel has a free breakfast. I know hotel breakfasts aren't usually grand, but it will do.

I'm going to pack healthy snacks for the road. We used to always bring candy for road trips, but a few trips ago, DH brought baby carrots, celery and cherry tomatoes. We were less cranky later in the day and didn't gain weight like we usually do. I'll do this again this time. I'll also bring a thermos of coffee, bottles of water and iced tea (made from scratch), and protein bars. I'll also pack a cooler; there's a frig in the room, so I can store items in there for meals the second day.

We are going to go picking for the business. Our favorite thrift chain in the city has a half off day on Monday, so that will be our main occupation on my birthday. Sounds weird, but thrifting is one of our favorite things to do together, even if it is our job.

I also signed up for a lot of the birthday programs Erin shared, so we will print those coupons to use during our trip for free coffees, pastries, or BOGO meals.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com