Jobs where you can work from home

Find and share ways to earn extra cash. No schemes or scams allowed.
Forum rules
No schemes, scams or advertisements allowed -- just legit ways to make extra money.
delighted99

Re: Jobs where you can work from home

Post by delighted99 »

rinty wrote:
delighted99 wrote:Hi all,

I am a SAHM and exploring what work from home options you know of. I was thinking part-time. Whatever it is, I'd like to be able to pay my babysitter and then make a bit extra for myself. Babysitter is about $14 an hour.

I found a travel coordinator opportunity where you can work from home but I am concerned that it is too good to be true. As far as I can tell, the upfront costs are a $500 deposit that you pay towards a computer and headset. They say that is refundable. If I were to move forward with that opportunity, I guess I would check the BBB to make sure they are legit? Any advice about that one?

I was even toying with the idea of going to school to be a travel agent so I could have a home based travel agency. I'd have to do specialty travel or corporate travel. I already know it's hard to compete with online travel booking.

Maybe the most promising thing I've seen (on here I believe) is freelance writing.
I don't know what you did before having Little One but are there any roles you could do within that company ??? Might it be worth looking at going back to work then seeing if theres any option to work from home ???

Both my DDs ( in their 20s and 30s) can work some days from home in their roles which fits in with their families. Oldest DD has been with her company longest and can do 3 days a week from home.........and that means shes available for school runs, activities, at home when they are small etc. Even Youngest DD , who has been with her company less than 6 months has got one day a week if she wants it.
rinty, that's great for your daughters! I know you are in the UK otherwise I'd ask what companies those were. :)

I used to teach. I've been thinking about substitute teaching. I think it would be very challenging though and especially for not having to work out of necessity. The pay would be just enough for my son to attend a good daycare in the area. I'd really just be working for the experience of it.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I think this is a great idea. let us know how it works out for you. I would be hestitant about putting out $500 to get the job however. That would be my only concern. Just like I would never pay a headhunter to get me a job, the company wanting me would pay the fee. but I am old school and I realize that the job market is changing. I would love to do something from home as well once I retire. don't want to get bored! cj
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

blondeinbuffalo wrote:I think this is a great idea. let us know how it works out for you. I would be hestitant about putting out $500 to get the job however. That would be my only concern. Just like I would never pay a headhunter to get me a job, the company wanting me would pay the fee. but I am old school and I realize that the job market is changing. I would love to do something from home as well once I retire. don't want to get bored! cj
I was surprised to see this thread was still alive! :) I plan to return to work later in the year. I just don't think I feel like totally changing gears and trying out a new field. Also helps that I have some leads on some quality childcare.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 am I have been thinking, and thinking. Like you the only one that strikes me is the becoming a free lance writer or editor..... Not sure about how to do so though.

Surveys and such are fine and I do know people (on line) that do quite well at them. Not me though as I only ever seem to qualify for one in ten and then for some reason my passwords to redeem my points no longer work....

Hopefully someone else has some ideas for you.
I have the same problem Jackie. I qualify for fewer and fewer surveys. I don’t think as many are offered here in Canada as the U.S. either.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

There are some sites you can sign up with and the work is that you type the text that will be used to caption videos. The pay is so much per word or so much per video - I can't remember. I tried this once for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, the laptop I am using can't play videos very well - and this won't work for me.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz