Crafting at fairs. Any tips?

Find and share ways to earn extra cash. No schemes or scams allowed.
Forum rules
No schemes, scams or advertisements allowed -- just legit ways to make extra money.
Vaeagen

Crafting at fairs. Any tips?

Post by Vaeagen »

Hi all,
So glad to be back, I definitely have some questions. I have been working on my sewing skills with an eye to possibly doing some craft sewing for extra money now and more so after retirement. I am planning on starting slow and seeing what works but let me list what my ideas are right now and see what you all think.
1) I am working on "recycled" and repurposed fabrics, for 2 reasons...one it doesn't make money if I have to buy material and then pay for my time and two the selling point is that....well everything I make is recycled!
2) I will try to maximize the theme of recycling. My labels will show where all the material parts came from.
3) I will start out at small, local, low cost craft fairs to see what item sell and get feed back from customers. Using this feed back I can improve items I make but also things like my display.
4) hopefully this way, by the time I retire I will have a good idea how to run the business.

So what do you all think? Any other ides? Books I should read? I'm all ears.

Valerie
Jackielou

Re: Crafting at fairs. Any tips?

Post by Jackielou »

Sounds as if you have done your research.

I think I would also check out a few craft fairs to see what the going prices are for items similar to what you plan on selling.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

If there are any upscale consignment stores in your area you might see if they are interested. Craft shows tend to be so unpredictable - weather, other events going on.

Our summer farmer's market also has a craft sale area, you get a space every week for the whole season May-Oct. It's sort of pricey but on a per-week basis probably reasonable if you have plenty of merchandise to move.

Make business cards w/ contact info. I sold baby quilts & afghans at the community yard sale. I was unprepared for people asking me if I would do custom work (had quilt tops needed quilting, etc.) I will make & take business cards next time.
ErinHuffstetler
Site Admin

Post by ErinHuffstetler »

I've only done one craft fair so far, but it was a good education for all of the reasons you mentioned. I would definitely make sure you're prepared to accept credit cards. A good number of our customers didn't have cash on hand. We used PayPal Here. It's a little device that plugs into your cell phone, and it was super easy to set up and use. I also liked that it put the money into our PayPal account. PayPal will mail you one for free.
Erin Huffstetler
Editor, MyFrugalHome.com
Vaeagen

Post by Vaeagen »

Thanks for the good ideas everyone!

I had not thought of looking at other items on sale to see about pricing.....some of my things might be a bit "unique' but I should be able to get a feel for what people will be willing to pay by going online to say etsy and surfing around.
I also never thought about the credit card thing! That is a very good idea! Most of my stuff should be pretty inexpensive but I know that the trend is for people to not carry cash now a days so I will have to look into maybe that "square" or something like that. I will have to update my phone to do that as I still have only a dumb phone....so that will be an added expense of the business.
That is why I want to start small and not spend a lot to start learn as much as possible so as to not spend money that I don't need to.
I do like th idea of the business cards! I have an idea on how to do some that might be unique and recycled...by making my own cardboard/kinda paper stock I can use it for tags and for business cards. I might just glue my info on reused copy paper....the whole 3R thing again....

Keep the ideas coming....

If I get time and get better at the computer stuff I will try to post pictures of my stuff.

Valerie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Valerie, I have another idea.

My city has a Facebook site that is called Handmade Crafts. You can list your crafts there for sale (well at least on ours you can). I would check and see if your area has one. Also I have noticed that people place orders if they like what you are selling.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/