Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

We are back from a 2-week vacation. Have not before done 2 weeks in a row, it was fun but, in all honesty, disorienting. Now laundry is in progress and will be for days (and we even did some while there).

Weird thing happened while I was 'working on vacation' - because I work while on vacation (I don't want to come back to the kind of chaos there'd be if I didn't) - I asked about the legality of signing a specific document while only a contractor and bam, I'm a regular employee now, with a huge raise, 401(k) and profit sharing. Last time we discussed it, there was no 401(k) available. Seems like a lot just to sign that document 6-8x per year. But admittedly there's much more work day to day now and I have a tendency to under-report my hours. I feel a weird sense of guilt when reporting reality - it's like I do the math then don't think I'm worth the $, per DH. He's right, my self-esteem wavers.

I was thinking about what I'd do if I did re-retire, and given that DH works from home now and is so much younger than me and therefore won't retire at the same time, the answer was "sit in the office and annoy DH." I can do that and work at the same time :lol:

Of course all bets are off if the management changes.

This week will be laundry, grocery shopping, sorting all our 'stuff' - kind of like spring cleaning but we don't go by season - and deciding whether or not to try to sell a couple things we only use sporadically, along with work and cooking. DS is presently dusting, 2 weeks worth of dust layer going on here. DD is sorting. DH is dealing with the yard, WOW the garden is huge! By the grace of God there was no hard rain, hail, nothing damaging, and everything doubled in size :shock:
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:27 pm We are back from a 2-week vacation. Have not before done 2 weeks in a row, it was fun but, in all honesty, disorienting. Now laundry is in progress and will be for days (and we even did some while there).

Weird thing happened while I was 'working on vacation' - because I work while on vacation (I don't want to come back to the kind of chaos there'd be if I didn't) - I asked about the legality of signing a specific document while only a contractor and bam, I'm a regular employee now, with a huge raise, 401(k) and profit sharing. Last time we discussed it, there was no 401(k) available. Seems like a lot just to sign that document 6-8x per year. But admittedly there's much more work day to day now and I have a tendency to under-report my hours. I feel a weird sense of guilt when reporting reality - it's like I do the math then don't think I'm worth the $, per DH. He's right, my self-esteem wavers.

I was thinking about what I'd do if I did re-retire, and given that DH works from home now and is so much younger than me and therefore won't retire at the same time, the answer was "sit in the office and annoy DH." I can do that and work at the same time :lol:

Of course all bets are off if the management changes.

This week will be laundry, grocery shopping, sorting all our 'stuff' - kind of like spring cleaning but we don't go by season - and deciding whether or not to try to sell a couple things we only use sporadically, along with work and cooking. DS is presently dusting, 2 weeks worth of dust layer going on here. DD is sorting. DH is dealing with the yard, WOW the garden is huge! By the grace of God there was no hard rain, hail, nothing damaging, and everything doubled in size :shock:
A big congrats on the full-time position with benefits! I know that you are super smart with your money to prepare for retirement, the kids education and helping others. I don’t know exactly what you do for work but I know you do it very well and they appreciate you.

Great that you had a nice family vacation (even though you worked).
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:00 pm A big congrats on the full-time position with benefits! I know that you are super smart with your money to prepare for retirement, the kids education and helping others. I don’t know exactly what you do for work but I know you do it very well and they appreciate you.

Great that you had a nice family vacation (even though you worked).
Thank you, you're very kind!

I've done a lot of varied things over time and this job takes advantage of almost all the history. I no longer spec industrial equipment because I will never again go to a manufacturing plant (which I miss, particularly machine work like CNC and stamping, I love the smell of rust inhibitor and all the noise); I'm mostly stationary now. It was one thing decades ago to be female in the industry (also worked in OEM automotive procurement for a while, with the Japanese, and I was blonde - many of them see that as exotic...to have them realize there's a brain under the hair, that was always funny) and have to prove you know your stuff, it's another thing to be female nearing 60. The young'uns probably don't want my advice ;). Now the young folk go do the selling, I just do... everything else. Logistics? Me. Purchasing? Me. HR? Yes, me. If there's anything at all to do with paperwork, it's mine. Which is why signing that form scared them, probably :lol:

All that machine noise? On my list of things to finally get is a hearing aid, I was diagnosed with hearing loss last year. You play, you pay!