Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am

I decided not to use the egg and milk that I had accidentally combined. I forgot to use it and now not sure if a cracked egg in milk for several days is safe to use. The cost is minuscule and I would rather error on the side of caution. I will be making a broccoli, cheese, onion, mushroom quiche today with fresh ingredients.Also bread or muffins using almond or coconut flour.

Since I had a bad reaction to rye flour I thought bummer what a waste of flour and money. However I looked on the internet whether or not dogs can eat rye flour and it is ok. So will be using some of it to make Teddi doggie treats. I toasted some bread for him yesterday and gave him small bites and he loved it. I will retry the rye flour when I get in to making sourdough bread since that is suppose to make gluten flour more acceptable to gluten intolerant people. I have to report my sourdough starter died a painful death in my fridge. I got busy doing other things and forgot to discard and feed it.. Will wait until after setting up my garden to retry making sourdough bread.

It is really weird weather here. It is 32 with a windchill of 17 and light snow and it is April 16! I am hoping this late freeze is not going to ruin my peach crop. The trees were starting to bud out last week. I think my apple tree will be ok since it was still dormant. Just looked out my window and the snow is really coming down heavy..

I will be going in to town later. I did not pick up Teddi's dog food on Thursday due to fatigue and after breakfast this morning he will not have anything for dinner. So I will stop and pick up a chicken at the grocery store.. It will be free with my survey money. Looking forward to seeing how far I can stretch it.

Yesterday I took all of the containers out of the freezer to thaw and will be making chicken soup with the last of my broth from previous rotisserie chickens. Since I do not have any chicken in the fridge or freezer I will chop up some of the chicken from the new chicken to add to the broth..I will be using dehydrated celery, carrots, and onions from my emergency pantry to flavor my broth and will add some rice from the freezer to make it chicken and rice soup instead of chicken and noodle. Also will add one bay leaf from my Bay laurel tree which I grew from a tiny two twig plant to one that is almost 2 feet tall. It is in a large pot in the breakfast room where the door to the deck is located and it receives sun in the winter. I put it out in the summer on the deck.

I forgot to mention I had severe diarrhea from the rye flour and after allowing my body to cleanse itself finally decided to drink some pear juice. Whenever I open a can of pears or peaches I save the juice in the freezer to use to stop diarrhea. I discovered this treatment quite a few year ago when I was desperately broke and did not have the money to buy anti-diarrhea medicine. It worked really well. In fact a friends husband had had a bad case of the flu and could not stop having bowel problems. I told her about the fruit juice treatment. She said he was so amazed at how well it worked that he had her buy the small cans of fruit to keep in his office just encase of a flair up. I buy the small cans and keep them in my closet with other medication for "just encase" However I do rotate them out and eat the fruit and put the juice in the freezer for later. Take 2 tablespoons at a time and repeat as necessary until you get relief. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 am

Yesterday bought my rotisserie chicken and also a big package of chicken thighs. They both came to around $ 6.00 each and since I used my survey money they are free.. I will package the thighs two to a package and freeze... I will add one thigh to my thawed chicken broth today when I finally get around to making my chicken and rice soup.I used slush fund money to buy fresh veggies and fresh dairy.. Doing well in the food department staying in budget. I did treat Teddi and myself to Mickey D's hamburgers yesterday $ 3.02.. He does not get the bun and I saved it to use either for my breakfast toast or making a sandwich. Not much of a fan of Mickey D's but it was close to my shopping area and somewhat cheap for eating out.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 pm

I had to go to Walmart to pick up some medication and while there picked up some extra large eggs.. One of my really good gluten free cookbooks requires extra large eggs. They were $1.49 not much more than what large eggs are going for elsewhere. I treated myself to some Kerrygold butter from Ireland.. It will be used on things like toast, muffins, and thing along that line. It is a bit pricey but the flavor is so much better than American butter and not that bad in price. I picked up cheaper butter at Save-a-lot the other day for cooking.. Also picked up more Italian sausage and a roll of breakfast sausage.. Breakfast sausage has gone up in price everywhere so it will be saved and used for a Sunday breakfast or brunch. The Italian sausage will be used to make another batch of cabbage and Italian soup. It was so good and the meat will be stretched more using it in soup. Also have a spaghetti squash that needs to be eaten and will use some of the Italian sausage in the sauce. I think I can safely settle in to no more spending for the rest of the month except maybe some fresh dairy towards the end of the month.

I threw two huge chicken thighs in my flavored broth and will have more than enough soup forthe next few days. It started off just using up broth from the freezer that was gleaned from the bones of rotisserie chickens and some dehydrated veggies and leftover rice. The cost is minimal and yet so filling and tasty. I froze all of the thighs one to a package since they cut a huge portion from the back with the thigh.

I need to make salad dressing tonight for tomorrows salad. It will be a ketogenic ranch dressing either made with mayo or cream cheese not sure yet what..Also need to hydrate some strawberries. They look horrible when you first hydrate them but after sitting in the fridge overnight they are vastly improved. I will be enjoying them with cottage cheese for breakfast for the next few days. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Hard to keep up with writing I get tired easily and my biggest job right now is trying to make food for the day or to make ahead.The last several days I have eating two fried eggs cooked in a tiny bit of bacon fat for breakfast. They are filling and I do not get hungry as soon as I did when eating cottage cheese and fruit. My chicken soup from odds and ends was very good and I had a bowl every day for lunch or dinner. Tonight I had a big bowl for dinner and froze two portions for another day. They are smaller portions so will be for soup and salad or soup and sandwich days.
Last night I made Parmesan chicken with some of the shredded chicken from my rotisserie chicken. Used some Parmesan cheese, and shredded cheddar. I need to save some of the Parmesan for when I make other dishes. Also need to save the mozzarella for homemade pizza this week-end. I used some of the pizza sauce from Dollar Tree for my Parmesan chicken. Also topped it with the leftover chopped onion and black olives from when I made pizza bread the other day. It was not authentic but was filling and tasty.. I am going to remove the meat from the rest of the chicken bones and freeze it in portion size as well as freeze the bones and odd bits of meat to make broth again. I plan on making salmon patties tomorrow night and miracle noodles Alfredo.. Miracle noodles are low carb made with a root from Japan. Somewhat pricey but I bought a sampler bundle last year to try and they are ok but a bit too rich for my budget right now. When they are gone that will be it for this year.. unless I can buy them for free with a gift card for Walmart.They do sell it at Walmart.

We have had very low temps and frost and freeze warnings for the last three days with high winds yesterday up to 40 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Not sure what this will do to my peach crop. The trees were in full bloom and there are still blossoms on the trees but not sure about the sever low temps and frost? The last two years have been bumper crops and since my pear tree was wiped out in a storm last year they were going to be the main fruit for canning and making jam.. Will have to see how things go. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Janet, thanks for mentioning some of the different items that you buy. I looked at the KerryGold butter in the store the other day. I don’t use much butter and don’t need it now but will try it next time. Do you buy the sticks or in the tub?

I’ve never heard of Miracle noodles but just looked them up. Interesting. One store that came up was Thrive Market. I’ve never shopped there and don’t know the shipping costs but the noodle price looked pretty good to me. A gal I follow on YouTube (How Jen Does It) eats gluten free and has mentioned Thrive Market.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 pm
Janet, thanks for mentioning some of the different items that you buy. I looked at the KerryGold butter in the store the other day. I don’t use much butter and don’t need it now but will try it next time. Do you buy the sticks or in the tub?

I’ve never heard of Miracle noodles but just looked them up. Interesting. One store that came up was Thrive Market. I’ve never shopped there and don’t know the shipping costs but the noodle price looked pretty good to me. A gal I follow on YouTube (How Jen Does It) eats gluten free and has mentioned Thrive Market.
I buy the stick Kerrygold salted butter.

I tried Thrive Market one time when they offered something for free plus you had to make a small purchase with free shipping. The prices were good however if I wanted to continue to buy from them I would have to pay some money to get the discount for a membership. Not sure exactly now what. After crunching the numbers told them I was not interested due to the money they requestedt would off set any savings they were offering me. They tried to keep me going with a discount but I told them for what they sell things for I would rather invest my money in my local economy..Not sure if they still are requesting money for membership or what ever they called it it has been quite a few years since that happened.

The miracle noodles do require prep work.. You have to drain and rinse them for 10 to 15 seconds. They do have a yucky smell. Then you have to put them in boiling water for 2 minutes.. then drain again and place in a pan and cook them over medium heat until they are dry. All of this before you can even begin your recipe.. However if you are in need of a pasta fix they are somewhat worth the extra work. I have not tired their miracle rice yet but they did include a package in the sampler.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama