DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am

Saturday

I do enjoy not going for a walk with the neighbor sometimes. She only walks on the weekdays. The weekends mean I can eat breakfast with hubs instead of rushing out. I also get to sit with the kitty. She is sitting with me now. In the winter, my neighbor walks with a snowbird neighbor very early. I won't miss it. Today, the same tasks are in front of me. Build a new flower bed. Finish the driveway bed. And lay pavers. The weather is too unstable to paint the front door. I hope we get a couple of days of rain free weather. Some neighbors are mowing grass this morning. My front is still too wet. I have decided to fill the driveway bed with vines I already have here. They will stay low and the flowers are bee friendly.

I would like to get more pavers, but I am thinking that is not realistic today. I need to get things done around here. So as it stands, it will be a no spend day.

Hurricane Beryl is far away, but it is a reminder to make additional preparations for the season.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 am

Sunday

Yesterday was a clean up and organize the kitchen day. And it looked great until dinner. And I got some grass mowed with my little electric lawn mower. I bought it over a gas one because of no maintenance and light weight. I am surrounded by ditches and it is easy to go down and up the ditches with the light little mower.

Today is predicted to be dry, so a good laundry to the line day. And the rest of the grass mowed this morning. Then a trip to get more pavers. I started laying them yesterday. I am going to need a lot more than I can carry before the sale ends. Oh well, there will be another sale before long. A hubs shower at the end of the day. Weather permitting, work in the yard. If laundry is dry by mid afternoon, I might be able to bring in the laundry and clean the leaves off the roof a bit. I did finish filling in the driveway beds. The painters unhooked my irrigation system in order to use the faucet. I need to get it hooked up and calibrated again. And there is the door painting to do. Also a couple of other painting things are on my list. They would have been done in the spring, but all of May, normally a dry month, was lost to constant rains. June wasn't much of an improvement. Now it is the rainy season, so painting is behind.

Tomorrow, the handyman comes to put in the screws to hold the plywood storm panels and cut the plywood. I hope it will reduce hubs worry about storms.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 am

Monday

A new week begins. Weather predictions are for a couple of no rain days. Painting is on the schedule. Putting up blinds on the schedule. More pavers on the schedule.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Wednesday

Knocked off a bit by my eye injection pain. It hurt for a day. I didn't feel good. Tuesday was not productive. Today I did some needed shopping while hubs was at the doctors and then the ac tech came. We have cooler air now and I am cooking inside. I have been thinking about the design of the paver front courtyard. I bought a few pieces of wood today in addition to the landscape timbers. I feel focused and looking forward to getting outside after my eye injection confinement.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 am

Thursday

I have an action list to work on. It rained a lot yesterday and the ground is still wet. So I think I will tackle one of my inside projects first. Blinds for the porch windows. Before, I had them fitted inside the window opening. But this time I think I will position them in front of the opening. That way I won't need to cut them to fit. Also I think I will be making winter storm windows to replace the old ones. They will need to fit inside the window frames. I have a DIY method and I think I will try it come cold weather.

Putting up the blinds and getting the porch tidy after moving stuff here and there for the painters sounds like a good task for the day.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:24 am

Friday

Thursday was successful. I put up most of the blinds. However, I am going to have to inset the ones on the ends of the porch due to lack of space at the corner. It took longer to put them up than I would have liked. The heat index here was 105F and no breeze. I had to take breaks. I decided to wait until today to do the inset ends. So that is my main project for today. Finish the blinds on the porch. I also bought more landscape timbers on the 50% off sale. It will be over soon. I bought 4 2x2 at 70% off as well. They will frame my courtyard front patio. I will get back to the patio after I finish the other projects.

So today, I will finish the porch blinds and tidy the porch for more summer living. Get on hubs to do the paint rebates.