DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday evening

I didn't post here this morning. Odd. Well, it was a pretty good day. We got a lot of rain on Friday and I hoped it would sprout some volunteers and it did. However, the ground is not as damp as I hoped. So I did some watering this afternoon. I cut down a pigeon pea. They are just not working out where they are. I decided to plant a orchid tree that I got at a swap awhile back. I am happy with the decision. It will get water from the irrigation line and it can grow as much as 2 feet a year. That may mean blooms in about 3 years. They are lovely and fragrant. I also pulled out a small papaya that was going to compromise my irrigation line. All put in the trash can ready to wheel out for Thursday pickup. I feel emboldened and will tackle tougher things tomorrow. I may even plant some big plants.

The turkey breast is finished and the scraps will be meat with a daily salad for a few days. Hubs did not eat a daily salad. I came in to fix it and he was eating cheese. So I made sure he got vegetables with dinner. He asked for stir fry for tomorrow. I will add lots of vegetables.

Tomorrow, I will head over to Aldi and Lowes in the morning. Yard work in the afternoon. That may include mowing the grass in front. See what my knee will allow. No rain is expected for the week. I will need to water a lot more. Yard work will end on Wednesday when I get my eye shot. I will need to avoid dust and water for a week after to ensure no infection. So any yard trash to go out needs to be ready before Wednesday.

I had intended to go and get some coffee on weekend sale, but I forgot about it and hubs said it wasn't worth it to go for just one item. Ok, I am tired and my knee hurts. Tomorrow, I need to get started on getting this knee looked at. Tuesday, I need to get hubs a shower. I won't be able to wash him and risk water splashing in my eye on Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday will be down days since I feel poorly after the shot. Wow, feels like a short week.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

I've been thinking on my flood barriers around the house plan. The revised FEMA chart is official more or less. Our house is out of the flood zone, our back yard is not. Wonder how that will work out.

Right now, I just want to get some of my winter wind barrier bushes/trees planted. So that is the plan for today. However, my knee hurts already. Bad start for the day.

No rain predicted for the rest of the week. That means watering nearly every day. I wanted to get the azalea planted, but they can be put off until next week. I have decided to go with the 6 week rather than 4 week shot. It will give me more time to work in the yard and not be afraid of eye infection.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

I made the doctor appointment for my knee yesterday because I was in a lot of pain. So last night, a major "pop" and it feels better this morning. Well, I will keep the appointment because it may pop back out of place at any time and the doctor appointment is a week away.

Today with less pain, I will try to get more done. Cold mornings for Florida means that I don't go out until afternoon. House is down to 74F this morning. Low humidity means I must water. Florida plants don't handle low humidity well.

It doesn't look good for my cocoplums that hubs did not water while I was away. I hope he has learned his lesson. I will remind him before my next trip. I am grateful that I only lost 2 plants, but I think I lost the fruit off of my little citrus trees as well. It is frustrating that he didn't do as I asked.

I tried using a soaker type hose in my new flowerbed. Just didn't seem to work well. I will have to go ahead and put in a permanent plastic irrigation line. Meanwhile, I will just hand water the area. The volunteer Mexican sunflowers that I planted in the new garden area are struggling. There is no actual soil in the new gardens, just leaves and mulch with a little soil on their actual roots. Well, they were volunteers with no future crowded together.

I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming grocery store ads due out tomorrow. I do have enough to get by another few days if necessary. 2 meals of ground beef and a couple of frozen fish. But slim pickings for me. My mother's fear of no food from her childhood in the Depression has imprinted me. I feel anxiety.

I sure hope I can mow the front yard grass today. The fleabane daisies have sent up stocks here and there and the yard looks "ratty".
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Front yard is mowed. Hubs said we could put off the shower for a couple of days. I was tired and my knee hurt. I did a quick shower to wash off the dust. It felt good. The hurting knee really sucks away my energy. The good knee pop yesterday didn't last long.

I was thinking about my raised garden in the back on the northwest. I was only thinking about managing the winter winds when I built it, but I realize now that it can serve a duel purpose of flood control as well. But I will need to modify it a bit. Last night while resting in bed, I saw in my mind how to modify it. I love seeing solutions. I won't be able to act on it right away since I will feel poorly after the eye injection today. But I am inspired.

Home Depot has landscape timbers on sale. I plan on stopping on my way to the eye doctor and getting a few. My little car can only hold a few. Also some concrete blocks for the raised garden. If I feel poorly after the shot, the material can sit in the car until I feel better.

I plan ground beef burgers for tonight. The patties are already made and I moved them to the refrigerator yesterday to thaw. I don't cook veggies with them, just pickles. Lunch is the big veggie time today.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

I slept late due to feeling poorly from the eye injection yesterday. But I feel better and I expect to have a better day. Hubs cleaned up the kitchen counters yesterday while I was at the doctor's and did a great job. This is mostly a stay inside day since I must protect against dust or water getting into my "wounded" eye. So a load of laundry and some organizing of stuff.

If I really start feeling good, I may start on my painting of the pantry cabinet. The pantry is pretty empty and I can move things off of a shelf and then paint it. Since I am using tidbits of paint, it should be a colorful Caribbean mix when finished. See how I feel.

Hubs says I should go through the several sets of worn out sneakers. I sure wish I could think of a way to recycle them. I will recycle the laces, but still seems like a waste.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, DG...

Our older daughter is a leader in an American Heritage Girls troop. It's a Christian alternative to the Girl Scouts.

Once per year, the girls collect used shoes and sneakers. They have connections with someone (some group) that will clean, mend, and then send them to people in developing countries. I don't know anything else about it but I do know that we gave them several pairs of shoes in the past. Maybe you can do a little research to see who would want used shoes.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17