DGfrugal journal 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Time to get out the newly bought stick free skillet. The breakfast skillet is simply sticking so badly that keeping it clean is not really working. See how long this one lasts. It is pretty.

As expected, after the eye injection yesterday, I slept most of the rest of the day. Got up to make dinner and then went back to bed and slept fitfully all night. I feel balanced this morning although the eye still hurts a little bit as usual. And itches(can't scratch it)

Last night, I made Italian ground beef. I used up a can of diced tomatoes, a lot of the fresh eggplant(99c/lb) and a lot of Italian seasoning. Tonight will be ground beef, Mexican style. Use up green sauce and beans. I am trying to add vegetables to all my ground beef meals to reduce the cost per serving. Beans in the Mexican and eggplant in the Italian and Chinese.

I am glad old dance partner was in a better mood yesterday. I am glad he finally told me what he was upset about. I was worried that he was becoming mentally unstable. He was way not normal last week.

I told hubs that I felt that I need to add a bit of carbohydrates to my meals. He had felt I needed more carbohydrates since I work so physically hard. I decided that I would begin having a sweet potato every week. He doesn't like sweet potatoes, so it won't be a temptation to him. I will buy one this week when I shop.

I am glad to be done with the antibiotics. They were upsetting my stomach. The yogurt was keeping it at bay, but.... I will watch and see if I need to buy a probiotic. They are very expensive in my opinion.

As my eye clears, I will begin studying viruses. With my background in pre-med and microbiology, the terminology is easy. So I expect this to be easier than trying to learn the "lingo" in economic theory. I love learning.

I am feeling hopeful that at least the US will hit the ground running towards economic recovery. I sense most people are ready. Of course, it is hard to know what and how and when. Taking advantage of the economic wave feels challenging at this point. Watching.

Tomorrow, I will get an estimate from another yard guy on the ditch trimming. I haven't called the first guy back yet. I am a little nervous about that, but I feel I need to wait. Of course, no mowing for me this week. I must avoid dust, moisture and sweat.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday noon

I have been working in the house, just doing little daily chores. I also called a neighbor to check on her and then saw snowbird outside and chatted with her. The yard divider lilies are beginning to bloom and she found 2 red tomatoes on her side of the divider garden. She was happy.

I called the neighbor I bought the freezer from. I asked her if there was a drain plug. She said she thought there was one on the front. I'll look for it later. It looks like most of the plants can go today without watering. It would be nice if I could avoid water another day after the eye shot.

I also decided to make phone calls today. Southwest confirmed that my expiration date on the cancelled air flight was extended until 2022. I figure I will use it this fall if things open up as expected. We will see. I'd love to go cruising, but old dance partner is now afraid of cruising. A couple of other calls too.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Still working on the weekly goal of hurricane season preparations. The hard part right now is not buying food and continuing to draw down on the freezer. We ate the last of the frozen Brussel sprouts in the freezer, but I want to eat the frozen ones in the refrigerator freezer too.

Today will be stir fry with the last of the previous ground beef patties. Then salmon for several days. First, the frozen salmon from the last sale and then other fish that may be hiding in the freezer. Meanwhile the last ground beef roll will thaw. The upcoming week ending May will be serious draw down frozen food week. Set goals on Sunday.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Checked my weekly goals. I didn't make as much progress on the safe room. Ok, honestly, I didn't make any. Just moved junk around. This is not achieving the goal. Frustrated a bit about that.

But, I am pleased with my progress in the yard. I have pretty much finished all the transplanting. The big tree in the back has a number of morning glory and moonflower vines creeping up the trunk. Should be showy in a month or less. The north trellis with jasmine vine is now getting some some morning glories to add color. The blooms on the jasmine are mostly done. I like blooming flowers. The out of season snapdragon volunteers are blooming in their pots. They are white. A couple are pink. I have no idea where they came from, but when I found them, I repotted them and here we are. Purple/red flowered vincas are taking over the world. And the blue plumbago in the hot sun against the fence must be drawing from the septic tank because they are exploding with big healthy blooms. I have run out of places to put the volunteer Mexican sunflowers and 4 o'clocks. The red leaf hibiscus is fighting me for the path and the lantana is covered with flowers and butterflies. Waiting on the lily blooms. The potted hydrangea are blooming pink/purple instead of blue. But they are blooming which means I have found them a happy spot at last.

I am very happy with my new lawnmower. It is adjustable and I have raised it so it doesn't scalp the perennial peanut ground cover. The peanut has these cute little yellow blooms when they are happy. They are happy. When we get more rain, I hope for a field of yellow between the pink lantana and the blue plumbago. Life is good.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 am
Friday am

Checked my weekly goals. I didn't make as much progress on the safe room. Ok, honestly, I didn't make any. Just moved junk around. This is not achieving the goal. Frustrated a bit about that.

But, I am pleased with my progress in the yard. I have pretty much finished all the transplanting. The big tree in the back has a number of morning glory and moonflower vines creeping up the trunk. Should be showy in a month or less. The north trellis with jasmine vine is now getting some some morning glories to add color. The blooms on the jasmine are mostly done. I like blooming flowers. The out of season snapdragon volunteers are blooming in their pots. They are white. A couple are pink. I have no idea where they came from, but when I found them, I repotted them and here we are. Purple/red flowered vincas are taking over the world. And the blue plumbago in the hot sun against the fence must be drawing from the septic tank because they are exploding with big healthy blooms. I have run out of places to put the volunteer Mexican sunflowers and 4 o'clocks. The red leaf hibiscus is fighting me for the path and the lantana is covered with flowers and butterflies. Waiting on the lily blooms. The potted hydrangea are blooming pink/purple instead of blue. But they are blooming which means I have found them a happy spot at last.

I am very happy with my new lawnmower. It is adjustable and I have raised it so it doesn't scalp the perennial peanut ground cover. The peanut has these cute little yellow blooms when they are happy. They are happy. When we get more rain, I hope for a field of yellow between the pink lantana and the blue plumbago. Life is good.
Dg your garden sounds so lovely. I love flowers but do not have the time or energy to plant them. Enjoy your garden.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

We got a lot of rain last night according to my rain barrels, buckets and the plumbago. I had hoped to plant a couple of perennial peanut plants that were still in pots. But I ran out of time yesterday. I don't want to plant them this morning and have the hot sun beat down on them in the afternoon. Try late in the day if the rains hold off.

I need to go to the grocery store for eggs. We eat 4 a day and even at 18 per carton, they disappear fast. Everything is so wet that outside, activities will be much later. I may even have time after the store to work on hurricane preparations inside. Picked out some need to eat canned goods and put them at the front of pantry. Pantry could use a tidy time too. Rain or shine, it's all good.

I read that quinine can cause sensitivity to the sun. I had used tonic water with quinine for a couple of weeks when I was having night leg cramps. I had wondered why I seemed to be getting red from the sun. Where were my Native American genes? Now I know what happened. No leg cramps right now and my sun loving skin is back. Of course, I avoid the sun and hunt for shade when I am outside, but I am outside a lot. I don't wear sunscreen. It makes me itch like crazy.

Preparing my goals for the upcoming week. Post them tomorrow.