DGfrugal journal 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 am Thursday am

It is cooler this morning. Hubs is going to eat out on the porch. Yesterday morning was too hot for that. The birds seem happier too. When I transplanted the Mexican sunflower volunteers, they wilted terribly. But today, they are all perky. That is nice. Not sure where I will put them, but at least they look good. I had hoped for a quicker sprout on the eggplant and okra.

I had to put up a fence around my front garden bed because the kid and dog across the street ran through my garden when unfenced. Well, I hear through the gossip line that they are moving to N. Carolina. I am glad. They didn't fit in. I wish them well some place else. They have grand ideas of how much their house is worth. Given the unemployment situation, they may be disappointed. But none of my business.

I wore the back brace yesterday and it worked well. I don't want to become dependent on it though. I will call and see if the chiropractor is working yet. If so, I will make an appointment.

It hurt to toss the food yesterday, but it needed to be done. I find myself thinking, but I could have used this..... then I argue that I wouldn't and shouldn't. What an internal struggle. I think the mystery bag is a turkey carcass. I have it thawing in the refrigerator and will cook it down in the crockpot on the porch. Chicken fat is always good to have around for cooking. I freeze it. We eat a lot of ground beef, so I just refrigerate the excess beef fat to cook breakfast with. A frugal thing.

The plan is another stay home day with a focus on organizing for that tropical thing coming next week. But as said so many times before, I can't do a lot of repetitive work, so it is just one step today and hopefully another one tomorrow in the forward direction. Tomorrow may be a run for materials for my building projects. I would prefer to put that off if possible so that my focus stays on storing existing materials for the hurricane season.

Hub's weight is staying good even though he had some carbohydrates in the Memorial Day beer he requested. He says he is feeling "hot" a lot now. I can't tell if that is good or not. I push the water a couple of times a week and tell him not to eat too much cheese. I am not buying nut meats right now to discourage that food which may have been his source of weight gain a month ago. It is about time for his monthly fruit. I plan to offer him frozen blueberries with whipped cream tonight. He likes frozen blueberries. I prefer mine thawed or fresh.

The ac ran a lot more yesterday than usual. They said it wasn't that hot. Well, that is not what the ac said. That is not what my sweating forehead said. I hit the water a lot and several salt tablets. I leak salt more than most people and my old doc prescribed salt tablets. Salt tablets aren't popular now, but he was a lot smarter than these new kids with their "fad" electrolyte replacements.
If you planted seeds for your eggplant, they take a very long time to sprout. I actually planted my starters a bit too late this year and so was on the lookout for some for the veggie garden.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Looks like you are right about the seeds Jackielou. I don't buy plants anymore. They seem to be infected more often than not and I don't like to use pesticides, even the so called organic ones. Well, if I don't plant that area until fall, oh well. I have plenty of volunteer flowers.

The tropical "blob" is becoming more likely every day and so not the time to have construction stuff laying around. It is too wet to work on garden building or paver stuff. I have a problem with one of my rain barrels. The faucet is stopping up often and causing it to overflow when it should be pushing out water during a rain. Hubs had a lot of ideas about what "we" could do. I tried to tell him that we=me and me is not strong enough to do it. In addition, some of those ideas take time, but don't actually solve the problem. I don't have time to pursue a wasted effort. I will need to do some measurements and see if I can buy a shunt to relieve the overflow. I had been studying that subject for awhile because the hard rains are hard for the gutters to manage. Just too much water, too fast. Work on it today with all my free time.(sarcasm).

I will start the crockpot on the porch shortly with the turkey carcass broken up if it cooperates. If it is ready early, oh well. I am flexible about when I eat. I am still struggling with having the dishes in the pantry and the canned goods in the cabinets. Just feels so very weird. I am considering repainting the inside of the pantry since things are in flux. But I really need to focus on fixing that rain barrel first. Hope I can get the parts I need quickly.

I also need to talk to old dance partner. He apparently is scheduled for cancer surgery on Monday. I will try calling him before I leave for the chiropractor.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

I sure wish my back would get better. I really don't want to become dependent on the brace. I have things I want to do. Now that the knee is working, the back is acting up. Grrrr.

I am a bit hesitant to set up goals for the week given my back condition. Nonetheless, the lawn people will start this week. They are scheduled for Wednesday. I will remind the other company that I am going with Tony rather than them. I felt like when I talked to that guy last week, he wasn't sure who I was. So I need to make sure they don't come.

I wanted to get some blocks from Home Depot yesterday, but it was too crowded. That is on my list for this week. See what my back allows. Also work on setting up a rain chain to reduce the water volume going into the rain barrel and also set up a second rain barrel. How much of that is dependent on the back. Also I need to mow the septic tank area. That covers the goals for the week.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 am Sunday am

I sure wish my back would get better. I really don't want to become dependent on the brace. I have things I want to do. Now that the knee is working, the back is acting up. Grrrr.

I am a bit hesitant to set up goals for the week given my back condition. Nonetheless, the lawn people will start this week. They are scheduled for Wednesday. I will remind the other company that I am going with Tony rather than them. I felt like when I talked to that guy last week, he wasn't sure who I was. So I need to make sure they don't come.

I wanted to get some blocks from Home Depot yesterday, but it was too crowded. That is on my list for this week. See what my back allows. Also work on setting up a rain chain to reduce the water volume going into the rain barrel and also set up a second rain barrel. How much of that is dependent on the back. Also I need to mow the septic tank area. That covers the goals for the week.
Dg I think you need to back off of your heavy duty yard work. If your back is hurting so much and you are wearing a back brace and seeing a chiropractor you should not be doing so much.. Take care of your back now because it can lead to serious disabilities. I have been in a back brace off and on since I was in my 20's and I always did too much now have a very serious back problem that is going to involve serious surgery and extensive back surgery. Be kind to yourself now since you do not have anyone than can help you if you keep up the strain on your back. Just saying this our of concern for you. I know you love to dance and be active but think beyond the daily stress you are putting on yourself and your back. Think of your future.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you for your concern, Janet. It is so hard to judge what is too much. Just hard.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am.

Sometimes that after work shower feels so good. Heat index yesterday was about 105F and I sure did do a lot of sweating. I stopped often for water and doctor recommended salt tablets several times during the day. I mowed grass and worked in the yard cutting down the fern that is trying to take over the lakefront. With the summer cycle starting, getting it done now is important. I was careful about how I mowed, no twisting. I just couldn't wear the back brace again. It really has my middle itching. In fact, I took an antihistamine before bed to keep the itching feeling down. Got a bit of sun. But this morning, it is just tan. Still, no reason to do it again. I hope to get some stuff done early and stay out of the afternoon strong sun.

It looks like the eggplant seeds are finally sprouting. That would be good. The okra has several up and looking pretty good. I have a ton of volunteer flowers to plant, but if I can wait until the anticipated rains starting on Wednesday, that would be easier on them.

The house across the street on the corner is formally up for sale. Hope we get a new neighbor suited to the community. It is great to not hear that woman screaming at her kids and then the kids screaming back.