My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am thrilled that Biden is going to be our next president. I just hope things will go smoothly.

I was able to fill my gas tank the other day for $16.00 and change. Gas was $1.84 a gal. I try to never let my tank go lower than 1/2 tank due to living out of town.

I am well stocked with food. I am trying to transition in to a leaky gut diet. My gastritis is very bad and have constant stomach pains. Will not bore you with all of my problems. I just do not have the energy I would like to get more things done around here.

We have had incredible weather this past week with temps going up in to the high (70's F) and one day it hit (80 F). We have a few more days before a cold front and rain move in on Tuesday. With the warmer days the evenings do get chilly as soon as the sun sets but I have been able to keep the furnace off or on low using a nice fleecy throw in the evenings. I bought some Duraflame logs to use in my fireplace to take the chill off when the days and evenings get a bit chilly. I bought them from Amazon since last year I bought them in town and about killed myself getting them off of the shelf and in to a cart and then in to the trunk of my car. This way they are delivered to a staging area in my garage and I can open the boxes and put them on a shelf in the garage.

I switched to Decaf coffee this morning. It does taste good and using cream in it but will phase both out as they are used up. I do have a headache but that should pass in a day or two.

Breakfast was sausage and a fried egg with coffee.

Lunch was canned salmon. That was it. I did not feel like eating but have to due to my diabetes.

Dinner was half of a bag of frozen broccoli with butter.. Again not hungry. I might eat more of the salmon later on.

It will take me a few days to transition more in to the leaky gut diet.

Thanksgiving will soon be here in about 19 days. I have every thing I need. I decided buying turkey was a needless expense for one person. There would be too much leftover even with a small breast. Also after a few days, and after being in the freezer, I am not that fond of leftover turkey. I had planned to buy a rotisserie chicken for my holiday meal but with the rapid rise of covid in my area decided the last thing I need to do is go to a grocery store that might be crowded with last minute holiday shoppers. So I bought some chicken breast. Walmart had fresh cranberries available when I made my last curbside pick up so have them in the freezer. Otherwise have everything else in my house to complete my meal.

I live a simple life but I am happy.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Been MIA again. This time it is due to my internet Satellite. A remote tech in Mexico tried to help me reboot but nothing worked. It is most likely in my modem. It comes and goes. They do not have a tech in my area until Nov 21st.

Yesterday received a call from my utility company. They have been given a grant and did not know what to do with the money so they decided to give free hot water heaters with free installation to the first 25 people that accepted. I was one of the lucky ones. It is part of their Energy Star program. This same program helped me to get a new furnace a few years ago. The utility company paying for half of the furnace and installation costs. Also they helped me to get a 10 year loan with a very low monthly payment. I am thrilled because I have been concerned about the age of my water heater. I feel so blessed.

The other day I had to see my dentist due to a chipped tooth. The dentist was able to take an x-ray and repair if for only $90.00. He said I will need a crown in the near future but no hurry. The tooth root is in good condition. So this gives me time to start to save up for it. I am going to check in to getting dental insurance. Recently my Medicare D insurance company said they are now offering insurance for dental work for seniors. So it it something to look in to soon.

Food wise doing well. Just need to get fresh produce and eggs when needed. I do have concerns about some things. Walmart was out of fresh tomatoes of any kind and carrots. Also they did not have the distilled water I need for my c-pap, spring water by the gallon, a medicated powder that I have been trying to get for 6 weeks and only the smallest bottle of Clorox. The spring water I am trying to replace the ones I had used to put out a smoldering fire at my neighbors a while back. I am not hoarding but do have a nice little stockpile that I am trying to maintain in case more shortages start to occur.

Hope to be able to post more regularly but if the computer goes out again is will be hit and miss.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am back again. My satellite problem was the pole that holds up the dish. I found it on the ground the other day. I was able to put it upright for a while but then it started to sag. When the tech came it was nose down in the ground again. He installed a new pole and checked the equipment inside. I was pleased that he wore a mask both inside and outside. We were never in the same room at the same time so social distancing. Before he left he asked if he had my permission to spray disinfectant in the area where he had been sitting at my computer. I was glad he took so many precautions. However after he left I stripped the bedding off of my bed since they were within a couple of feet where he had been sitting. Washed them in hot water with bleach. Then used anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down my equipment and desk area. I feel I did all I could to protect myself.

It has been so long since I wrote anything I cannot begin to bring things up to date. So will start with yesterday. I had a curbside pickup from Walmart. I am doing well with what I have but have been buying to try to keep ahead of any shortages. However still unable to get distilled water for my c-pap machine. Even the alternate distilled nursey water was not available. Both were not available the last time I placed an order. I am glad I have been buying ahead and do have a nice stash. I never buy more than one gal extra so not hoarding just wanting to maintain what I have. They did not have the the organic grass fed ground beef I ordered or the alternate grass fed ground beef. The beef is suppose to be good for my leaky gut diet. Also they did not have the 6 pack of Cottonelle I ordered. It would have cost $6.98. They replaced it with a much larger package of Cottonelle equal to 48 rolls but still only charged me $6.98. Walmart has been good about when they have to sub something larger they still sell it at the same price you would have paid. I ordered 2 limes but received 6. They were in different bags so the pickers may not have realized that someone had already added it to my order. I feel satisfied with what I have. I might have to go without salads once I use up my lettuce but I do not plan on going to a grocery store for quite a while. When I was born it was the last year of WWII so I grew up during the time period of post WWII. We did not have all of the fresh produce that people are so use to now a days. So will fall back on to eating canned veggies and fruits like in the olden days..

Right now feel nice and cozy. Yesterday when I came home had to do some rearranging in the fridge and freezer to fit everything in and found some chicken broth that was just a few days old and put it in my crockpot. Added extra chicken broth from a carton. Then threw in half of a bag of frozen mixed veggies that needed to be used up, a can of diced tomatoes and the juice, added some onion powder and garlic powder and let it cook all night in my crockpot. Today added some shredded cabbage. Then recently added about 1/3 cup of lima beans from the freezer and some oregano. I will sprinkle the soup with a little parmesan cheese when I eat it. The house smells so good. I am going to make either corn bread or corn muffins to go with it.

Earlier in the day I made a small fire in my fireplace. It does not heat the house but makes for a nice cozy spot in the great room. I let it burn out since I had other things to do in the house and I never leave a fire unattended. I am thinking of restarting one after dinner.

Teddi is all curled up in a little ball on my bed sleeping. He has his big boy t-shirt on from Good Will. It looks like a what little boy would wear but in a baby size. I buy his clothes at Good Will in the baby section. Cost is so low and to me much better than the expensive things you pay for at the pets stores.

I am off to make corn bread or muffins and eat my yummy soup. All is right in my little part of the world.
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, it is good to have an update of your frugal adventures. You make soup like I make soup - what I have is what goes in it - and I love to cook it over night.

DD and I feasted on homemade from scratch pasta sauce last night - with whole wheat spaghetti. I rarely to never make homemade sauce but had all the ingredients and was feeling very "Martha Stewart" yesterday.

Hope and Lucy send love to Teddi - they are also lounging in a person's bed. :-)

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:31 am
Janet, it is good to have an update of your frugal adventures. You make soup like I make soup - what I have is what goes in it - and I love to cook it over night.

DD and I feasted on homemade from scratch pasta sauce last night - with whole wheat spaghetti. I rarely to never make homemade sauce but had all the ingredients and was feeling very "Martha Stewart" yesterday.

Hope and Lucy send love to Teddi - they are also lounging in a person's bed. :-)
Teddi sends his love back to Hope and lucy. Sorry about the small (l) on lucy's name my computer keyboard has gone on strike regarding the capital ( l). Teddi wanted me to tell you that he did not intend any disrespect for lucy by not spelling her name correctly. I have another keyboard in the basement.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Not much going on here. I am doing some prep for my Thanksgiving dinner. I made guacamole and chopped some onion to put in it so decided to go ahead and chop the onion for my stuffing tomorrow. I have sorted and washed cranberries for my raw cranberry salad. They are drying off on a towel right now. Then a quick chop in the food processor, add some drained crushed pineapple, sugar or monk fruit, and mini marshmallows. Then tomorrow I will add the cool whip and chopped pecans before eating it. Usually I have to make a vat of it so that everyone can take some home. Seems so odd not to be making a huge batch.

I normally do not have guacamole for Thanksgiving but I am trying to add avocadoes to my diet for the healthy fat in them. I could not get the regular size from Walmart only really large ones. It takes longer for them to ripen and when they ripen you need to eat them right away. Will not buy the really large ones again.

I thought I would try to be no spend throughout the month of Dec but already have an appointment to get my driver's side headlight replaced. Just a couple of weeks ago had to have the passenger side replaced.

My plan is to try to make do with the food I have in my house. It is going to be interesting and somewhat creative but that is what makes it interesting and fun. My sister once went an entire year without going to the grocery store. She did not do it out of fun but out of necessity. She did buy things like eggs, milk but other than that she relied on what she had in her house. Her husband lost his job but she had a a lot of things stocked piled and put in a garden and froze and canned a lot of things. She had three small children to feed as well as herself and her husband. The kids remember it as the year Dad got to stay home and play with them. He made the cutest little toy soldiers out of clothespins for the boys. One had the blue army and the other boy had the red army. He even made some small little cannons out of wood scarps. He made a dollhouse out of scraps of wood for their DD. My sister knitted mittens and made other things. When the kids went back to school after Christmas her oldest son came home with a few extra kids. He asked her if she really knitted his mittens and she told him," yes." He said to the other kids, " see I told you so." He then said the other kids told him, " Mama's don't make mittens any more." lol.. I have enough crafts and projects I will not need to go anywhere to buy anything.. So I am looking forward to my new adventure.
Janet Alliesmama