Meals for About One Dollar

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Meals for About One Dollar

Post by HappyDaze »

Lately I have been looking at "cost per meal". I'm not on a mission to keep all my meals at $1 or less - but taking a look at what I eat on the regular, I am pleased to see that it's something that happens often.
Some examples breakfast - half a box (3 waffles) of DT waffles and half a can of peaches from Save a Lot - about $1.18. Lunch can of Progresso lentil soup (on 10 for $10 sale) and half a sleeve of saltines - about $1.30. Of course there are meals that are cheaper (oatmeal, pbj) but I don't think these costs are bad at all. Yes, I could make soup for less - but those $1 cans are great to keep at work.
Some of my more expensive to make meals - like homemade mac & cheese usually give me 3 to 4 meals - so still cost effective. What are your ideas for "about $1 per person" meals?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Re: Meals for About One Dollar

Post by floridacatlover »

Here are a few with rough estimates.

Breakfast - Post Wheat and Bran cereal $3.75 B1G1 so $1.88 divided by 6 servings (approx.) = .31 + soy milk $2.99 divided by 6 servings = .50 so total of .81. ( Post Wheat and Bran soaks up a lot of milk. My other recent cereal is Publix bran flakes $1.80 so .30 serving but would use less milk.)

Lunch - Fresh Express salad kit (includes dressing and toppings) $4.49 B1G1 so $2.25/bag. I get two salads out of each bag so $1.13.

Dinner is harder - Chicken thighs at $2.19/pound (high I know but Publix price has stayed the same since long before pandemic; I’m too lazy to buy family packs) $2.19 x 2.40 pounds for 4 thighs so $5.26/4 = $1.31 plus 1/3 bag of frozen veggies at $1.29/bag so .43. Total is $1.74.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

About the only thing I'm sure consistently comes in at under $1 for a "normal human" (a 17 year old growing male is not a normal human, :lol:) serving are a couple of lentil soup recipes* we use. Everything else is hit or miss depending on the $ paid for the ingredients (we have stuff in the freezer bought over several months that were purchased at different prices and, while I adhere to FIFO when I can, sometimes I goof... and most of the time I've forgotten how much I paid for that particular bag/box). It's all basics, frozen legumes and veg, mostly, and some frozen alternative flours. Between vegetarianism by choice and gluten free eating by not-choice :lol: everything has to be from scratch - GF processed foods are crazy expensive.

*One of these soup recipes is nothing but a little oil, green or brown lentils, celery, onion, garlic and water, with spices. The original recipe says to put the celery in in half-sticks, once the soup is done take them out and discard them :shock: but that's just short-sighted, celery is good for you, so we finely dice it and leave it in. Dried mint and cumin make it amazing, and it might cost 50 cents a bowl, tops. Nearly 20 years after being handed the recipe, DD still says "Yum! The green soup!"
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Hot dogs and beans are always around the $ mark.

Depending on what you use to make chili that can come in at just over $1.00 a person.

Eggs on toast (scrambled, fried, poached).

Pancakes made from scratch.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:19 pm About the only thing I'm sure consistently comes in at under $1 for a "normal human" (a 17 year old growing male is not a normal human, :lol:) serving are a couple of lentil soup recipes* we use. Everything else is hit or miss depending on the $ paid for the ingredients (we have stuff in the freezer bought over several months that were purchased at different prices and, while I adhere to FIFO when I can, sometimes I goof... and most of the time I've forgotten how much I paid for that particular bag/box). It's all basics, frozen legumes and veg, mostly, and some frozen alternative flours. Between vegetarianism by choice and gluten free eating by not-choice :lol: everything has to be from scratch - GF processed foods are crazy expensive.

*One of these soup recipes is nothing but a little oil, green or brown lentils, celery, onion, garlic and water, with spices. The original recipe says to put the celery in in half-sticks, once the soup is done take them out and discard them :shock: but that's just short-sighted, celery is good for you, so we finely dice it and leave it in. Dried mint and cumin make it amazing, and it might cost 50 cents a bowl, tops. Nearly 20 years after being handed the recipe, DD still says "Yum! The green soup!"

Sandi when you have time could you post your lentil soup recipe? I love lentils. I am going to try to eat more vegetarian this year. I used to be vegetarian but my Dr and nutritionist both insist that I eat meat. However, I plan on eating vegetarian more often and skip daily meat eating.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I made a brown lentil curry that tastes wonderful and made a huge batch. Six very generous portions. Even served over rice as we did last night the cost would be under $1.00 a portion.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/