My 2022 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

My 2022 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Right now, I am just going to work on using up a lot of food that I have in my fridge freezer. I want to save money towards buying a chest freezer in Feb. With the long-range plan of being able to take advantage of sales. Also, since I joined a CSA farm this year, I will be able to freeze extra produce that I might receive. I am going to go back to being on a very strict gluten free diet. There are times when I have cheated and bought something at a Drive-thru restaurant window when I have been our running errands. It is not worth the pain and itching. If it looks like I might be out and about around mealtime I am going to take a snack with me. I am a diabetic and sometimes have a problem with my sugar dropping too low if I do not stay on a regular schedule. I always take some kind of a drink for just in case I get thirsty. Also, I want to do more from scratch and batch cooking for the freezer.

I am going to look into getting a smart phone. I currently have a flip phone for safety for when I am out on the road and need assistance. My Auto insurance company has a program called Drivewise. If I join it, I will be saving money on my car insurance because they use your smartphone to determine how well you drive. I used to have the program up until last year. They used to put a computer in my car to monitor things but last year they dropped it and went to a smartphone monitoring system.

Those are just a few of the things I am planning on doing this year.
Janet Alliesmama
ChristmasTrees

Re: My 2022 Challenge

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Janet..I have a small chest freezer and it is SO useful.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:34 pm Janet..I have a small chest freezer and it is SO useful.
Trees I used to have one years ago. It had belonged to my parents, but it died around 2015. I really miss having one.
Janet Alliesmama
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:08 pm Trees I used to have one years ago. It had belonged to my parents, but it died around 2015. I really miss having one.
It is amazing what fits in a small freezer. I actually share it sometimes with my kids when they need freezer space.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am ambivalent about getting a small freezer. On one hand, I could benefit from it - stocking up on sales and batch cooking and freezing. Plus the frige freezer is stuffed to the gills with DD's stuff and mine. I think if a small freezer comes up for sale on a community site or something like that I might be interested.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We've had a small chest freezer since the mid-1990s. It was the smallest chest freezer Sears made, and it's still chugging along. Once a year or so I have to defrost the interior, but it's been absolutely trouble free.

I keep two washed cleaned 20 pound cat litter jugs filled up about 3/4 full of water in the bottom of it to act as giant ice blocks in case the power is off for an extended period of time. We use the freezer for bulk purchases of bread (we buy it at Aldi eight loaves at a time), bagels, manager's special meats, and buy one get one deals on bags of frozen veggies. Right now it has all that along with 10 quarts of frozen various tomato products. It's stuffed.
Mackie