No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
LWolfT

Re: No Food Waste

Post by LWolfT »

Fortunately, I like bananas ...

We're doing better on using things. (Better communication on what's being used for work lunches :) )

Used some leftover green beans and my last potato to stretch leftovers into another meal. Arranged a couple more meals to use up some leftover side dishes.

We're heading into a bit of an overload on food/leftovers right now. I need to take a bit of inventory and send some things off to the freezer.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Let's see ...

Today, I plan to make some chicken broth from the drumstick bones, and will throw in the celery that needs to be used.

Also have a quarter of a fresh zucchini ... may saute that with some onions and garlic to serve as a side dish with tonight's dinner.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm seeing a pattern here and I love it - so many are making comfort foods in one form or another - LWolf''s homemade broth, Jackie's soup and sandwich meal - and Kitty always has something yummy sounding and homemade going.

Comfort food to me can be as simple as cinnamon-sugar toast or as time consuming as homemade mac & cheese - but I love comfort food - especially this time of year.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:43 pm I'm seeing a pattern here and I love it - so many are making comfort foods in one form or another - LWolf''s homemade broth, Jackie's soup and sandwich meal - and Kitty always has something yummy sounding and homemade going.

Comfort food to me can be as simple as cinnamon-sugar toast or as time consuming as homemade mac & cheese - but I love comfort food - especially this time of year.
You know, something about a snowy dad just inspires cooking. ;)
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Let's see ...

I'd bought a package of shaved steak on markdown last week, and we had leftovers from the steak & mushroom quesadillas I'd made. Chopped up the meat a bit more and had enough to make a pot pie for this evening's dinner. Bonus: used up leftover peas, too.

On the loss side, had to toss a slice of deli meat that had been sitting in the fridge waaay too long.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Wolf, I love that you turned your leftovers into a whole other completely different dish.

This evening I used up the last piece of my fresh cabbage - a tough part that some people might toss into the trash or compost. I grated it on my box grater, cooked it in a hot pan and added it to my warmed up tortilla as a little side to go with my soup. It was tasty.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz