No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: No Food Waste

Post by HappyDaze »

I have been using up my reduced price bagged salads in some creative ways - one bag topped a homemade pizza and another was turned into a stir fry and wrapped in tortillas. Pretty tasty stuff. I knew as soon as I brought them home that - OOPS - I'm not in a salad phase and I was determined not to waste anything.

Now I have a surplus of on-sale potatoes to use - some will be baked and I'm going to make a potato and corn chowder with some of them, using 2 cans of creamed corn from the stockpile.

I watched an Under the Median video on Youtube where they make their own tortillas for 6 cents each - can't get them for that in any store, so I may go back to making them again.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:50 pm I have been using up my reduced price bagged salads in some creative ways - one bag topped a homemade pizza and another was turned into a stir fry and wrapped in tortillas. Pretty tasty stuff. I knew as soon as I brought them home that - OOPS - I'm not in a salad phase and I was determined not to waste anything.

Now I have a surplus of on-sale potatoes to use - some will be baked and I'm going to make a potato and corn chowder with some of them, using 2 cans of creamed corn from the stockpile.

I watched an Under the Median video on Youtube where they make their own tortillas for 6 cents each - can't get them for that in any store, so I may go back to making them again.
Do you need a tortilla press to make your own? I plan on making more of my own flatbreads, and such this winter.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:02 pm Do you need a tortilla press to make your own? I plan on making more of my own flatbreads, and such this winter.
A tortilla press is probably nice to have to make them all more even in size and uniform thickness but it isn't necessary. I always have rolled mine with a wooden rolling pin.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:52 pm A tortilla press is probably nice to have to make them all more even in size and uniform thickness but it isn't necessary. I always have rolled mine with a wooden rolling pin.
Thanks, I will give that a try. Not too great a rolling pin user here though.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:55 pm Thanks, I will give that a try. Not too great a rolling pin user here though.
It takes a bit of practice and a little flour to keep them from sticking but it's not difficult. The basic tortilla dough (just flour, water, salt, oil) is very forgiving.

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

People always say that you can't freeze cooked potatoes without the quality suffering, but I had a large bag of "rescued" potatoes -- they were odd sizes, too small to sell, that needed to be used up. I gave this a go: peeled, cubed and boiled them, then drained them well and froze them laid out in a big ziploc bag. When I made up my frozen lunches, I added a handful of potato cubes and some frozen veggies that would benefit from the extra water in the potatoes when the dish was microwaved.

It came out great! The potato cubes were fluffy and so yummy.
Mackie