My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

Usual frugal past times with a couple of new ideas from Erin's blog.

Printing out some free sewing, knitting, embroidery and cross stitch patterns. I have also found a really neat turning trash into treasure online site. The only problem is that they keep sending me newsletters....

Using up the odds and ends in the fridge, most are gone now, just a few items left for lunches in there. I could say the same thing about the fridge freezer.

I so wanted to order in last night, but stuck to my menu plan and while I did not make the tuna casserole, I did make something from the big freezer that needed making before it dried out or got too freezer burned. I feel the same way tonight, but will stick to using up the leftover pork and save the ordering in for a night I am not feeling very well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Gas prices are going down again slightly. I have a bit still left in the tank from our trip and am going to hold out hopefully until I go shopping early next week. I would have loved to go into next month before purchasing, but that isn't going to happen.

We got a reminder from our financial advisor at the bank that Hubby has a GIC coming due early next month. We are deciding what to do with it as we could use it to pay for our cruise and get that out of the way early. We would then only have to pay for the flights to Athens.... Not sure if there is quite enough to cover the costs in the savings account right now. We have been saving since the beginning of the shut down for Covid pandemic.

Still baking my own bread with the help of the machine. At some point in time I would like to try making sour dough bread or artisan bread of some kind.

By promising to knit mitts for eldest son's school I will probably be able to eventually empty another tote of yarn downstairs. Slowly decluttering the yarn stash at least. I really need to work on other areas that need decluttering as well.

Using up all that I can, which at times can be a struggle. Trying to spend wisely, and using the grocery flyers to help make a list. At least most of what I purchase is used further on in the coming months. Thank heavens we no longer live pay cheque to pay cheque.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Grocery list made up and mostly sale items. Milk and eggs never go on sale here (well eggs rarely) and I believe those were the only non sale items on the list. Trying super hard to keep purchases to a minimum as I want to donate more to the Food Bank. Things are rough for a great many people.

Went for two short walks for exercise, and good thing I did so early. Things are getting pretty dark out there.

Used up lots from the fridge, but still plenty that will need using the first little while this week. If not used it will be chopped and frozen for use later.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Combined errands so as to save on fuel. Drapes and blinds opened wide once the sun came up to take advantage of the light and solar heating properties.

Hubby bought boxers yesterday and after looking at the price, I may just try and make him a few, we shall see.

Rags washed and line dried on the basement lines.

Will be using up the leftover chicken in the fridge as well as the part onion that is left, and some of the celery. I will probably use up the leftover peas from yesterday's supper.

I couldn't find the sale parmesan cheese so did not purchase it.

Picked up two sale binders. One will be used to keep the remaining manuals in order, the other used to put patterns in that I have printed off over the last few months.

I have some old pillow cases that will be cut up into rags tonight. Everything finds another use in this house.

Just the usual frugal practices around the old homestead.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I got all the appliance manuals in sleeves and in the binders. I already had one finished and started the next.

Spread sheets for this month pretty much complete as there will be no more spending this month.

I put $70.00 from my two week allowance into my savings envelope, and between Hubby and I another $8.55 in the change jars.

Sheets were dried on the lines downstairs.

I cut 6 unmatched and worn pillow cases down into some rags to use for cleaning.

Finished one ball of leftover black yarn on the mitts, almost done the second ball of leftover black yarn on another pair. This will be pair number 5 made.

Decluttered a bit in the sewing/craft room and will do more tomorrow. Almost tidy enough to start sewing in there once again. I really leave the room a mess when I work in there.

Chopped up some celery and put it in the fridge freezer. No use in letting good money go to waste.

Made 4 containers of ham broth out of the large ham bone. I see pea soup in our future.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So after the last couple of days we went through the income tax folder and pretty well have all we need. Monday I will be checking on where one of the charity donation tax receipts are and then we will take it in to the accountant.

I have been using the lines more to dry clothing and other items downstairs.

Got our utility bill and we managed to lower that by about $8.00. Not much but everything helps.

Small list of items to pick up for Easter supper and for while youngest is here.

Used up some yarn and have started to use up another ball of orphan yarn. Hope to finish that one off over the next couple of days.

Looking for sparkly yarn in my stash to make some blankets for the daughters of the family I have adopted. This is the family I helped out with the money to keep their home. I also want to make a blanket for the Hubby. Good people who through no fault of their own ran into health and work problems.

Using up all I can and making things last as long as possible. I dated my toilet bowl cleaner when I opened it and I now know I will only use 4 or 5 a year so I have that under control (opened the one on Feb 5 and I am pretty sure there is still at least half a bottle left). Working very hard on trying to have things like that to last at least a year.

I still need to make an inventory of what we have in our two freezers, but hopefully have been pretty good on using what needs to be used.
Jackie