FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

I am putting my Discover card in my wallet today and will use it for the next three months for groceries to get the 5% back.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:43 am So instead of hoarding my $$ I’ve decided to lighten up and still be careful with spending but not deny myself.
I doubt frugality has a lot to do with hoarding $; more like planning for $.

Elsewhere you said "I know I’m “lucky” but I’ve worked hard to get to this point."

Borrowing from E on the Incredibles - "Luck favors the prepared."

You have worked, and planned, and now you get the reward of not having to worry.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Floridacat, you are smart to take advantage of that 5% back on groceries! Come October, I'll be eligible for the "Young at Heart" program at my local grocery. 6% off your total on the first Tuesday of the month for people 60 and over. At least there are some perks for getting older.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:59 pm I doubt frugality has a lot to do with hoarding $; more like planning for $.

Elsewhere you said "I know I’m “lucky” but I’ve worked hard to get to this point."

Borrowing from E on the Incredibles - "Luck favors the prepared."

You have worked, and planned, and now you get the reward of not having to worry.
Yes, I believe that luck is a part of life but also strongly feel that you make your own luck.

I do sometime (or more than sometimes) feel like I hoard money. It is hard to get out of the mindset of saving and realize that it is time to enjoy the rewards of hard work and scrimping. My mother was happy but sadly never really learned to treat herself and I don’t want to be like that.
floridacatlover

In the end I made $30 in cash back for using my Amex in December. In addition to the 10% back on groceries up to $20, there was a 10% back on any shopping up to $10 back and I was able to double dip with Publix counting for both.

Plus I got 3% in rewards (separate) for buying groceries with the Amex. I did not know they gave 3% back on groceries. Maybe that is new.

I bought $34 in groceries today, all except two items on sale. Used the Discover plus the $5/$30 competitor coupon and put in my phone number for the 1% Publix rewards. (I forgot to put in my phone number for the $92 Rx at the end of December. Oh well.)

LittleMiss was the master of cash back and cc rewards. I wonder if she is still alive. Lovely lady.
floridacatlover

Driving through mom’s neighborhood yesterday, I could see that most people are sticking with the current trash service. That was my preference, too, and seeing everyone else cemented my decision. My only fear had been that everyone would move to the cheaper, once-a-week service and the current company would not have enough business in the neighborhood. (The once-a-week service does not allow Hefty bags, only their own can, and they charge a one-time $56 for the can.) It’s expensive and trash has gone up in price more than anything else, far more than power or water, up 65% since last year. It is MUCH cheaper to pay once a year, $552 ($46/month) than month to month ($54/month). I charged it on Amex (which I think will give me 3% for an online purchase) and will pay the bill from the checking account I use for mom’s house.

I received an email several weeks ago with the homeowner’s insurance renewal rate for mom’s house. (This is another big increase, up 37%. No surprise.) But the invoice still is not available online and I haven’t received the printed bill. If I don’t get it today, I’ll call the agent. It isn’t due until the end of the month but I like to get my bills paid.